Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Handmade Baby Carrier Cover

baby carrier cover

Fleece cover to stretch over the carrier. The flap comes down over the baby's head to keep the wind of of it's face.

Approximate Time: 3 hours

• 1 yard of fleece for the top
  • 1 yard of fleece for the lining
  • scissors
  • thread
  • sewing machine
  • 54 inches of 3/4 inch wide elastic
  • a large safety pin
  • needle and thread for hand sewing

Instructions:

1. I laid the fabrics out and cut a piece 28 inches wide by 35 inches long from each piece.

2. Lay them with right sides together and stitch around with a 1 inch seam allowance rounding the corners. Leave an opening about 3-4 inches to turn it.
  3. Clip the curved seams so they lay flat. Cut off the points at the corners.
  4. Now turn it right sides out. Cut a hole 8 inches from the top edge and 10 inches from each side edge. The hole should be about 7 inches diameter. Cut through both thicknesses of fleece. I sewed around the circle I drew on the fabric before I cut it out. That way the pieces keep together nicely.
  5. Sew 1 inch around the entire piece.
  6. Now take the safety pin and pin it to the end of the 3/4 inch wide elastic (54 inches long) and thread it through the pocket you've just created. When you bring it all the way around to the beginning end of the elastic, stitch the 2 ends together.
  7. Now hand sew the opening that's left from when you turned your piece right side out.
  8. Cut a strip of fabric from the lining fleece about 24 inches long and 4 inches wide. Sew it around the circle you cut out and join at the ends.
  9. Now roll it onto the underneath and stitch in the ditch from the top. Cut extra fabric off on the underneath side.
  10. Cut a piece 12 inches x 18 inches for the flap. Zig zag around it to finish the edging. Sew it above the hole on the front side through all thickness. Put the flap down over the hole and top stitch on the top about 1/2 inch from the edge.
  11. Now stretch it out and pull the sides down around the baby carrier. Use the flap to cover baby's face.

The first picture is the front and the second is the back.

By D.Lockwood from Millbury, OH

By

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Marcia from Graytown (Guest Post)01/15/2009

Love the idea. Wish I had a grandbaby to make one for.

By Louise (Guest Post)01/14/2009

I am sending you my address, please send me the directions. I am using someone else's computer so I can't write it down. My Address
Louise
1310 McMeans Ave. #33
BayMinette, AL 36507

By Mary Lou [14]01/13/2009

Wow, what a great idea! Thanks for the very clear instructions. I will make one for my good friend's new grandbaby.

RE: Craft Project: Handmade Baby Carrier Cover

By sheri [6]01/12/2009

luckyducky - what do you charge for the covers? thanks

By jeannie01/12/2009

I make these for baby gifts and also get many orders.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.