Inexpensive Hair Color

I tint my own hair with success using regular peroxide on dirty hair for copper highlights and then using combined red/blonde colored shampoo/conditioners, etc. However, I have a grey/blonde patch on my right temple that is resistant. Having some light self-tanner on hand, I impetuously decided to put some there to see what would happen. And voila! it blended in the grey/blonde quite nicely and it has stayed, too. Just a tip - works for my auburn hair - maybe this - or a darker version - would work for you, too.

By Pam from L.A., CA

i remember a few of my friends trying this a few years ago but it burnt their hair. Perhaps they used too much. How much did you use & did it change the texture?

Do you mean the peroxide? I just wet a cotton ball & touch up the roots after the color is established (On dirty hair - mine is fairly oily & in good condition...) I just used a dab of the self-tanner at my temple where the whiteness was. Applied it like makeup - but it stains, so it lasts longer. The peroxide is a bit drying - Don't use daily! And let the streaks come in gradually. Over time you will have nice, natural-looking highlights. Then only use the peroxide at your roots/hairline where the new growth is.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringJuly 7, 2006
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink