Turning Jelly Into Syrup

Can I make a jelly recipe, add water to make a syrup and then can it?

Karaof4 from MN

I don't know if it can be done that way or not; however, a lady on a crafting group I belong to said that she was making jelly and it didn't set properly so she was going to use it for syrup. She said what she did was that she didn't use the right amount of sugar so the jelly didn't set properly.

Hope that helps some?

You can do as the previous person said-- however, I believe the sugar amount is figured to preserve the juice-- which then allows canning--

I too have had "apple jelly syrup"- and it isn't bad at all-- however-- In lieu of changing the formulation for jelly to get to the syrup stage-- go ahead and can for jelly-- and when you want syrup, add water to your jelly and nuke it in the M/W-- get the best of both worlds-- without risking your good homemade jelly!

good luck

I wouldn't cut back on the juice or sugar, but

just use 1/2 a package of certo.

That's what I do for chokecherry syrup.

Good Luck

The stuff that causes jelly to 'jell' is a substance called 'pectin', a carbohydrate that occurs naturally in ripe fruits and berries. Many jelly recipes call for adding pectin in case the fruit doesn't have enough to allow it to congeal. (Kraft's 'Sure-Jell" comes to mind, but there are probably other brands available.) If your recipe calls for adding pectin and you don't want it to set, the first thing I'd do is leave that stuff out. I don't know what to do about the naturally occurring pectin in the fruit; if it's good and ripe fruit often has enough to make the jelly set.

Good luck, and happy Labor Day, everyone!

Homemade Jelly
Making Homemade Jelly
Food and Recipes Canning Jam and JellyAugust 31, 2006
Homemade Strawberry Syrup on Pancakes
Homemade Syrup Recipes
Honey Substitute for Corn Syrup
Substitutes For Corn Syrup
Making Jelly from Fruit Juice
Making Jelly from Fruit Juice
Fresh strawberries in a jar with a colander in the background.
Canning Strawberries