Recycled Denim And Flannel Window Quilt

This is a quilt I made using denim jeans and some flannel flat sheets.

Approximate Time: 14 days

• denim jeans
  • sewing machine
  • sewing threads
  • flannel sheets
  • scissors
  • cardboard 4 inch square
  • plastic 6 inch coffee can lid
  • steam iron

For a picnic sized quilt that measures 79 x 79 inches, cut 400 circles from denim and 400 squares from flannel.

Join 4 circles and sew square centers in, sewing the "scallops" down in a zig-zag stitch to secure.

I make blocks and find it easier in joining the pieces later as the quilt becomes heavier. This quilt has no batting.

It weighs 5 lbs. and is quite warm for summer or winter.

Machine wash.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

A lot of work, but very rewarding. Very pretty and only 5lbs?

Thanks for sharing.

This is such a beautiful quilt. I have a hard time with instructions sometimes. Is there any way to get instructions with more pictures? Just not sure how to connect the circles. Have not been quilting very long and am learning on my own.

Thank You.

Wow, I've been wanting to make a quilt like that for a long time. Thanks for sharing.

I've made two denim quilts in the past, and have been saving old jeans to make a third. I've also been saving flannel because I knew that I wanted to back it with the flannel somehow. Several ideas have been swirling around in my head, but I really like this one! I've always wanted to make a cathedral window quilt, and although this one isn't traditional, I really love it. Thank you so much for the inspiration! I can hardly wait to finish my other projects so I can get started on it.

At first it was hard for me to understand how to connect the circles too until I cut some out of paper and then it just clicked and I understood. Draw a 4" square inside the 6" circle. I know you aren't supposed to use an ink pen, but I do, because I can't see it if I don't. Each circle must have the square traced in it. The 'lines' of the square become your sewing guides. I sew two circles together at the tops. You need to align both sides, keeping right sides together. I pin the denim so it doesn't come apart. Some people don't. Next, sew two more circles together in the same way. You now have two and two, but they aren't connected yet, except to each other. I like to make squares of four circles connected together, then sew the fabric squares into them.

Only the 'inside' part is top stitched down, otherwise, you can't connect any more to the square. I then do four squares of 'four' sewn together, to make one large square. I prefer doing it this way, because it does get heavy connecting the pieces to finish it. My arms get sore! When you sew the square pieces on, remember to sew them on the 'wrong' side, because the other side is the 'right' side, making it a reversible quilt/blanket.

Did that make sense? I hope I didn't confuse you. I'm not very good at explaining things. I don't have a tutorial, but I can try to answer any questions you might have, if that helps.

Quilt Made From Old Clothing
Making a Quilt Out of Clothing
Crafts Home Decor BedroomAugust 20, 2010
Quilt made from a variety of knitted squares
Making a Quilt from Old Sweaters
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Flannel Shirts
Uses for Old Flannel Shirts
Flannel Pillows
Flannel Pillow Instructions