General AdviceConsumer Advice

Eyeglass Lens Have a Milky Discoloration

I have had my eye glasses for 3 years now, that I wear all day They have gotten a whitish milky look on the bottom and top sections that does not come off (on both lenses). It's like it is in the glass or something.

This has never happened with my other glasses before. Seems if I paid $400 for them that this should not happen. I take good care of them, as well.

By Kathy from Phoenix, AZ

It might be a problem with the coating applied to the lens. Go back to where you purchased the eyeglasses and inquire there, maybe they will have advice for you.

Anonymous

This happen to me too just less than one year and I went back to Cohen's Fashion Optical in Roosevelt Field Mall, Long island NY, which I paid $700 for my transition bifocals. They said I need to buy new ones, such a rip off.

My husband is having the same problem with his glasses that are about 1 yr old. Did you happen to get your glasses at Lens Crafters?

It could be the scratchproof coating if you have one. It might need to be removed and replaced. But after three years don't you need a new RX?

I had eyeglasses for decades and have never heard of this, but I think that the previous posters might be on to something. It must be the coating. Take them back to the place where you got them and inquire.

Anonymous

When my eyeglasses do this I use Isopropyl Alcohol and a t-shirt type material to clean them. Hope this will work for you, too!

Anonymous

Use beeswax like from lip balm. Rub just little on outside area of the frame.

Is there an fix or some way to remove the anti-glare coating on my eye glasses? I was told that it might crack if my eye glasses experienced some kind of heat wave from opening the oven door, which happened over the thanksgiving holiday. Other than the milky film that resulted, the glasses are fine, so I'd like to keep wearing them. They're only 9 months old!

Hopefully there's a cleaner out there that will take the film off. Thanks for your help.

By Allie