How Do I Clean a Serape?

How do you clean/wash a Mexican serape/blanket without making the dyes run or ruin the blanket? I am not sure of the fabric. I think it is either wool or acrylic.

By Suz from Pittsburgh, PA

I wouldn't take the risk in trying to wash it myself, have it dry cleaned.

If it's acrylic, it won't run. If it's wool, it still might not run. If you can find a loose strand and clip it, hold the

strand in a pair of pliers and light it with a match.

If it melts, it's acrylic. If it smells like burning hair and just goes out, it's at least partly wool. Wool can be dyed and not run, or it can run if dyes weren't rinsed clear before weaving. If it's in brown and earth tones, probably natural colors and won't run. If brightly colored as with reds, etc. test a small area with soap and water, and blot on towel. If it runs, have item dry cleaned. If it doesn't, soak in a tub of luke warm water with shampoo or liquid detergent as you would for a wool sweater. Gently squeeze out water and rinse. May need to do that more than once if you've worn it a long time without washing. When clean, take in large container to washing machine, distribute evenly in washer and move dial to spin. Let water spin out and dry on towel, or over chair or shower curtain rod, depending on design/shape of garment.

Pikka's advice on finding out if it's acrylic vs. wool is good. :-)

Have it dry cleaned to be on the safe side.

Many thanks to all who responded. I think I am going to get it dry cleaned.

Serape Blanket
Cleaning a Serape Blanket
Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingDecember 3, 2010
Someone using an acne cleansing pad on their face.
Homemade Oxy Cleansing Pads Recipes
Family Eating Together Using Placemats
Keeping Your Tablecloth and Placemats Clean
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
Post it note that says clean your room on it.
Getting Kids to Keep Their Rooms Clean
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 14, 2017 at 12:30:25 PM on 10.0.0.134 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.