Ice MachinesAppliances

Thawing the Tubing for an Icemaker

I read about the possibility of making a nonworking icemaker good again by using a hair dryer on the icemaker tubing. Can someone please give me an estimate of how long should I apply the heat and how long should I wait to find out it it did the job before calling for service?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

By Carmelinda

I can't help with how to thaw it, but maybe I can help with a way to keep it from happening again. That is, if your problem is the same thing that I had. I have a side-by-side, bought new in 97. Icemaker kept freezing up and we had 12 - yes 12 - service calls until finally we found a guy who knew what he was talking about. Turned out to be a design flaw! Air vents across the back blew cold air into the icemaker compartment, and it happened to blow on the water tubing. The repairman covered up half the vents (just the ones that were blowing directly on the tubing) with aluminum tape. Fixed the problem. That tape is still there, all these years later.

Turn off the power to the refrigerator and use the hair dryer for 2 or 3 minutes, then see if it works. I had to do it a couple of times but it did thaw out the water line. I guess it depends on just how frozen it is.