Shrubs Have Dead Limbs

The shrubs in front of our house have a lot of dead limbs in with the regular ones. I thought about cutting the whole thing down to about 6 inches. Or should I just go through them and pull out the dead ones and trim back the tops? Thank you.

Kenneth from Beecher, IL

It's ok to cut it down or just get out the dead limbs,I cut down all the bushes/hedges around our home. I do not like them, I planted flowers there. Looks like a new place & saves money & time trimming them, if you don't like it & it comes back pour some gas on it, good luck.

If you want to keep the full size you cut out the dead ones. If you don't mind them being smaller for awhile cut almost to the ground. If they haven't been cared for in awhile they'll probably benefit from a total cut down.

The type of shrub will make a difference too. Some will grow back in one season, others longer. I have spireas which collect a lot of dead sticks in the bottoms. I cut them right down at the end of autumn and they grow right back every spring!

Home and Garden Gardening ShrubsMarch 16, 2009
Pruning a Hedge
Pruning a Hedge
Jumper Cables
Jump Starting a Car Battery
Ornamental Shrubs
Caring for Ornamental Shrubs
A butterfly on a lilac bush.
Best Time to Prune Flowering Shrubs