Soap Fish

This is a vintage pattern that was originally made with an oval bar of Sweetheart soap. Since Sweetheart soap is no more, you will have to improvise. The soap that I have used for this pattern was found at the Dollar Tree store. The fish in the picture at the right is sitting on the box that the soap came in.

Approximate Time: About an hour

• 2 nylon net squares (12 inch, yellow or orange)
  • 2 wiggly eyes 12MM
  • twist tie
  • small scrap of red felt or foam
  • white glue
  • 6 bulletin board push pins
  • optional - sequins of assorted colors

1. Stack the squares of net, lay soap on the net diagonally in the center of the square.
  2. Gather in your hand and draw as tightly as possible at the back of the bar. See photo.
  3. Secure the nylon net with a twist tie. Or you could use a piece of yarn. Pull the nylon net gently to form the fish tail.
  4. Using photo as your guide, glue the eyes in place.
  5. Cut a small heart shaped mouth from the felt or foam and glue to the front of the fish.
  6. Push 3 pins along the top at a slant for the fin.
  7. Push 3 pins into the bottom of the fish, 1 in front, and 2 behind. This is the base for the fish to stand on.
  8. Glue sequins of assorted colors randomly on the tail of the fish, if you wish.
  9. By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

Click here to download the instructions in PDF format.

About The Author: Harlean Greathouse is a mother of three who has been married for 45 years. Long time readers of ThriftyFun will probably recognize her as Harlean from Arkansas, the name she has posted under as a valuable member of the ThriftyFun community. She specializes in wood crafts and enjoys designing crafts using recyclable materials, knitting, crochet and has been an arts and crafts vendor for over 35 years.

Your soap fish is really cute. I remember the fish and the swans made from the bars of Sweetheat soap. The Vermont Country Store has Sweetheart Soap and lots of other products that everyone thinks are extinct. Their products are a little pricey but I have ordered from them several times and have never been disappointed. Their website is Check out their website and ask for them to send you a catalogue. Its fun to go back in time looking at things like Evening in Paris cologne and Rosebud salve, among other things.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

I remember making these in Girl Scouts. Boy that sure took me back! Do you remember putting sequins on the tail! Thanks a bunch for reminding me I had forgotten about these little fish! And Thanks Matjak, for telling me about the Vermont Country Store! Darlene

this is so cute !! I love it

It is very attractive. I think that I also made this soap fish .So it looks very striking.

Cute craft. Sweetheart soap can be found in the Vermont Country Store catalog. I haven't checked their web site but it is in the catalog.

Oh My Gawd! I remember making those with Dove soap with my Mom when I was a little girl. We used Faux pearls for thr fins and glued on google eyes. Thanx for reminding of a wonderful time in my life.

Pears soap fish.
Crafts Using Bars of Soap
Crafts Home Decor BathroomJuly 20, 2008
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale