Lilac Not Growing in Height or Blooming

I planted an old fashioned lilac 3 years ago and it is still only about 1/2 foot tall. It looks very healthy, but does not grow and no blooms. What can I do?

By Ruthie from Sullivan, IL

Best Answer

Does it have good soil and full sun?

Soil is not clay and it is not black. I believe it is good soil but I have never had the soil tested but other things grow in the soil so I would think it is good soil. I know there was an old barnyard in this area at one time. Lilac is planted in full sun. Is there some kind of fertilizer that I could put around the plant?

Lilac Blooming
Lilac Not Blooming
Home and Garden Gardening ShrubsJune 5, 2010
Lawnmower mowing long grass.
Choosing the Best Lawnmower Height Setting
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Lilac Flowers
Lilac Leaves Turning Brown
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes