Lilac Not Blooming

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 858 Posts

As far as a shrubs go, lilacs are a dream come true for the gardener. Once established, these landscaping beauties will throw out heavenly-scented, long-lasting blooms for years and years-and all with very little care and maintenance on our part. Why is it then, after weeks and weeks of anticipation and doing everything right, your lilacs always fail to bloom? Here are the eight most common reasons.

1. It's Not Getting Enough Sun

The fact that lilacs prefer being located on a site with full sun is an understatement. To thrive and flower, lilacs need a MINIMUM of 6 hours of sunlight every day. If your lilac bush is not blooming, check to see if your site is too shady.

2. It's Too Young

A lilac will not bloom before its time, and most varieties of lilacs won't bloom until they reach at least 3 to 6 years of age. Years 1-3 are spent growing and developing. Only then, and only when they are good and ready, will they produce their first blooms. When they finally do bloom, the first few years can be less than spectacular. Don't worry, be patient. It's worth the wait.

Hint: Most lilacs purchased in containers have passed their first birthday and started to develop a good root system. They will generally flower sooner than bare-root shrubs.

3. It's Over Fed

Imagine stuffing yourself full of food and then trying to perform something that requires you to expend lots of energy (think Thanksgiving). This is how it is for lilacs getting too much nitrogen.

The primary nutrients in fertilizers are nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (on the fertilizer package, they are listed in this order, N-P-K). Nitrogen promotes growth above ground. Phosphorus promotes growth below the ground (roots) and is most responsible for flowering. (Potassium helps with overall growth.) Using a fertilizer high in nitrogen will encourage your lilacs to produce an abundance of green leaves, while at the same time, prevent it from flowering.

Fertilizing lilacs is not mandatory, and if your soil is nutrient-rich, your lilacs won't need feeding more than once per year in the early spring (if at all). When you fertilize, use a fertilizer with twice the ratio of phosphorus to nitrogen in order to promote flowering. Remember, grass craves nitrogen, so if you're fertilizing your lawn your lilacs may be getting over fed. Eight Reasons Your Lilac Bush Won't Bloom

4. It's In Shock

If you've recently purchased a lilac for transplanting, it may still be adjusting to its new environment. Even if it was blooming when you bought it, you shouldn't expect it to bloom for the next year or two following transplanting. Lilacs need a fairly long period to settle in. You may need to wait as much as 3 years before it fully recovers.

5. It's Dry

Lilacs don't like their feet constantly wet, but summer droughts can take a toll on the next year's flower buds. Keep your lilac on a regular watering schedule and adjust it for heavy rain or extended periods of drought.

6. You're Improperly Pruning

If you wait too long to prune (after midsummer) you're going to be cutting off next year's flower buds. Pruning should be done immediately after flowers die off, because next year's buds form shortly thereafter. If your lilac bush has become overgrown, cut back only the oldest 1/3 of the shrub each year over a period of 3 years.

7. Your Soil is Imbalanced

Lilacs prefer a soil pH from 6 to 7 (a little on the alkaline side). If your soil is too acidic, or missing certain nutrients, your lilacs won't bloom. And testing your soil is the only way to know. Inexpensive test kits are available at more garden centers, or for the most accurate test, contact your county extension agency for labs in your area. If the results indicate your soil is too acidic, the International Lilac Society suggests spreading fireplace ash around the drip line of the bush for bigger and better blooms.

8. Reason #8: You're Growing the Wrong Variety

If you've purchased you lilacs from a reputable local nursery, this probably isn't your problem. Still, large discount garden centers sometimes stock zone inappropriate plants and shrubs. Most common lilacs (Syringa vulgaris) need a cold winter to allow it to set buds. If you live in an area of mild winters, a Meyer lilac (Syringa meyeri) may be a better choice for your garden.

If none of these reasons can be applied to your situation, consider giving your bush a light root pruning in early summer. Jam a sharp spade into the ground on two sides of the plant about 12 inches out from the trunk. And maybe next year will be the year!

18 Questions

I have a lilac that has blossomed once in the 12 years we have been here. It grows well every year and gets about 6ft high, but hasn't bloomed for 10 years. Any reasons or suggestions?

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
Best Answer

Lilacs bloom on young wood. You should prune it back. It may affect blooming for a couple of years, but it will bloom again.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks
Best Answer

My elementary school had dozens and dozens of lilac plants and I loved them. Sadly, at my current home, which less than a mile away from where my school once stood, I can't host one bush to save my soul.

While these are generally super low maintenance plants (they survived 40 plus years at an elementary school being tortured by kids), it is one plant where the dirt matters. They like nice loamy, rock free, and well drained soil and homes.

My yard...clumpy, clay/slate/rock filled dirt with bizarre and in some cases downright nasty drainage issues. So my first recommendation is to make sure your dirt is lilac friendly.

Mine failed because I didn't have the patience to till the soil in the beginning, remove the yuck (tiny tree roots and rocks, etc.) and mix in the right amount of compost. They didn't make it out of the first year.

Friends who have them do work their soil every spring to keep it loamy and to watch out for water ponding (and remove it) as lilacs don't like to get their roots saturated.

Learn from my mistakes...and with a little patience, if bad soil is your issue, you can get it up to speed and hopefully get the lilacs to bloom sweetly!

Answer this Question

My lilac bush is 3 years old and produced 1 lilac bloom. What do I need to do so it will produce more lilacs next spring?

By Janette

Answers

Best Answer

Call a nursery, they will answer your question. It's either still getting established or it needs a soil amendment.

Answer this Question

For the last two seasons my lilacs have budded out, but then the buds just turn brown and never open into flowers. They had bloomed fine, if sparsely, before.

By Lisa from WI

Answers

Best Answer

Call your county's extension office; the people there are master gardeners; familiar with your soil, and climate etc; and they can readily and easily tell you what to do! These folks are a fantastic resource! especially for us gardeners! good luck!

Answer this Question

I planted an old fashioned lilac 3 years ago and it is still only about 1/2 foot tall. It looks very healthy, but does not grow and no blooms. What can I do?

By Ruthie from Sullivan, IL

Answers

Best Answer

Does it have good soil and full sun?

Answer this Question

I planted 2 lilac bushes from my cousin's suckers 4 years ago. The plants look healthy, but I haven't had a single bloom yet. Is there anything I can do?

Answers

Best Answer

First of all, make sure your lilacs are getting a full day of sun. Don't plant in too much shade. Watch where the sun falls at different times of the day.

Don't fertilize too near lilacs.
Also, try adding bone meal to the soil.

Answer this Question

I bought 3 lilac bushes about 3 ft high 3 yrs ago. They bloomed beautifully, but there have been no flowers since, just green leaves. I did cut hoping to fix the problem. What do I do to get flowers again?

By Pat

Answers

Best Answer

You do not say what your USDA zone is, and that may matter. Lilacs will not bloom if it does not get cold enough each year in the winter for them, regardless if they were blooming when you purchased them.

Answer this Question

The buds on my lilac just begin to develop, then they turn black and cease to develop into blossoms.

By Toni from north eastern OH

Answers

Best Answer

Most of the country has had an extremely long and harsh winter season this year. I had lilacs in Nevada before I came to Florida, and each spring we had another freeze just about the time the lilac buds were forming. Of course, the buds froze too, and turned black. All the leaves on any trees that had budded out also froze and turned black. If even your overnight temps dropped to near freezing, that will happen, and it also affects fruit trees the same way.

Pat T of Florida

Answer this Question

I'm through with my lilac tree. I plan to dig it up and try a different plant. It hasn't bloomed in over six years when it was first cut back. It does have nice dark green leaves.

I've tried everything. But, I'm looking for some color. Any suggestions on what I might replace it with? I live in Cleveland, Ohio

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

You might have overfertilized your tree. It will not bloom if it has too much nitrogen. I would leave it alone and see how it does the next couple of years.

We are in Pittsburgh, so similar climate. Our Rhododendron do well and have a lovely pink color. They come in other colors also. My mother has good luck with Azalea. They are also pink.

Both bushes can grow as tall as you want or kept as small as you want. They are pretty hardy and both of ours have survived many years with benign neglect.

Oh, and forsythia (although I have only seen yellow around here), they do really well in our climate.

Neither of us have had luck with Hydrangea (although I love them) our soil is just not right for them.

Too bad your lilac did not thrive. When I was in elementary school our building was surrounded by lilac bushes. When I was young I was terribly allergic to them (which thankfully I would grew). I love the smell and the deep colors.

I trimmed my lilac tree by mistake in the fall of last year. I have buds on the tree now April 18, 2018, but they look like old buds and they are not opening up.

My other lilac tree has opened buds now. I am afraid this tree is in shock, but do you think it will produce at least leaves for me this spring?

Answer this Question

I got a lilac 2 years ago. It bloomed one bud last year, but I am getting nothing this year. It is very green and healthy though. Do I need to put acid on it to help it bud?

By Elaine K.

Answers

Hi, I bought a Little Miss Kim lilac from home improvement store and it didn't bloom the next couple of years. It began to bloom and has since.

I think you will be fine. I heard lilacs are sensitive and just thought that is why mine didn't bloom at first. Hope it will soon, best wishes.

Answer this Question

I have a lilac bush in front of my townhouse. It used to be covered in flowers. Five years ago my HOA chopped it to almost nothing while it was in bloom. Since then I am lucky to get one or two flower bunches. The bush is back to the height it was before they chopped it, but without the flowers. Any suggestions?

By Kathy P. from Aurora, CO

Answers

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 255 Posts

If they chopped yours, they probably chopped others as well, and now yours may not have one to exchange pollen with.

Answer this Question
Load More
Home and Garden Gardening ShrubsJanuary 30, 2013
🌻
📓
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf85671124.tip.html