Share Crafts

Restoring a Leather Trunk

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of trunk this is? The whole outside is covered in dry leather. What is the best way to make it not so brittle?

By KML3 from KY

Best AnswersAnswer this Question

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By it' 168 254 05/13/2009

To clean the leather take a damp cloth, wipe it across moisturizing soap, like Dove, and lather the leather. Don't rinse -- buff for a nice shine. I tried this on my leather car seats and it worked great. My seats were clean and felt very soft. The interior of my car smelled great. I read that since leather is skin, it should be gently cleaned so it doesn't dry out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cricket 205 896 05/13/2009

I'd use Armor-All or some other cleaner specifically designed for leather. Do not use any water at all or the dishsoap like someone else suggested. This will dry the leather out more. You just might have something with some value there and you don't want to ruin it by using the wrong cleaner.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By PC McBride 4 18 05/14/2009

It is indeed a steamer trunk. Don't use soap or Armor-all on that trunk. You will ruin it. Go to a saddle shop or farm store and get some saddle soap and a soft cloth for applying the saddle soap. Apply all over, and wipe it off. Re-apply a second coat and wipe it clean again. Also, don't put any water on it at all.

As for the brass fittings, use a little toothpaste and wipe clean.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cindy Ann 4 06/06/2009

I would suggest using Murphy's Oil Soap on it to soften it up.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By norma carlyon 57 05/12/2009

It could be a steamer trunk, but I'd have to see the inside to tell. They usually stood on end, and one kept personal items in the drawers, and a hanging space for garments and shoes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Restoring a Leather Trunk

How do I restore the leather and interior and the brass fittings on my recently purchased 1920's trunk.

Ruth from Woodstock, IL

RE: Restoring a Leather Trunk

When you do, how about some before and after pictures? (11/08/2006)

By gardencraft