Restoring a Leather Trunk

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of trunk this is? The whole outside is covered in dry leather. What is the best way to make it not so brittle?

By KML3 from KY

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

To clean the leather take a damp cloth, wipe it across moisturizing soap, like Dove, and lather the leather. Don't rinse -- buff for a nice shine. I tried this on my leather car seats and it worked great. My seats were clean and felt very soft. The interior of my car smelled great. I read that since leather is skin, it should be gently cleaned so it doesn't dry out.

Best Answer

I'd use Armor-All or some other cleaner specifically designed for leather. Do not use any water at all or the dishsoap like someone else suggested. This will dry the leather out more. You just might have something with some value there and you don't want to ruin it by using the wrong cleaner.

Best Answer

It is indeed a steamer trunk. Don't use soap or Armor-all on that trunk. You will ruin it. Go to a saddle shop or farm store and get some saddle soap and a soft cloth for applying the saddle soap. Apply all over, and wipe it off. Re-apply a second coat and wipe it clean again. Also, don't put any water on it at all.

As for the brass fittings, use a little toothpaste and wipe clean.

Best Answer

I would suggest using Murphy's Oil Soap on it to soften it up.

It could be a steamer trunk, but I'd have to see the inside to tell. They usually stood on end, and one kept personal items in the drawers, and a hanging space for garments and shoes.

Answer

How do I restore the leather and interior and the brass fittings on my recently purchased 1920's trunk.

Ruth from Woodstock, IL

Answers:

Restoring a Leather Trunk

Try http://www.trunk.com/

When you do, how about some before and after pictures? (11/08/2006)

By gardencraft

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Old Steamer Trunk
Cleaning and Restoring an Old Trunk
Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RefinishingMay 10, 2009
old trunk
Recovering a Trunk With Vinyl
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
three ornaments
Making Christmas Tree Trunk Ornaments
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 7:06:30 AM on 10.0.1.19 in 495 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.