Fisher-Paykel Washer Advice

Can you tell me if there are any Fisher-Paykel washers that don't lock while they are washing? Also can you just spin dry something you have hand washed?

Contact an appliance repair shop for the first part of your question.

Yes, you can spin dry something you've handwashed. If it is a delicate item, be sure to spin on the delicate cycle. It helps if you place a dry towel in the washer with the item -- for balance as well as absorption.

I have a Sears washer that locks down the top for the spin cycle. It takes forever to release the top. I often have delicate or special items I want to spin only briefly, like sheers, silks, velvets, etc., to remove a bit of the water before hanging to dry.

I have a pair of scissors (large) that I stick in the locking mechanism before the spin cycle starts. This prevents the top from "locking" on. I use the on/off button to stop the spin cycle and remove or add my 'special' items.

I own a Fisher & Paykel GWL15 model washer, for about a year now. I've given it a 5 of 5 rating when asked for my opinion.

To my knowledge, which includes close looks at their entire product line, Fisher & Paykel offer no washer that does not lock during washing. However, you may notice that the top of the line Maytag Bravos and the similar Whirlpool top loaders (about $200 more than the top Fisher & Paykel) seem to me to have licensed F&P technology, and have also installed glass lids, as well as water heaters.

Second, I agree with the other posting. I regularly wash unusual delicate items in the machine anyway. But there's not a problem doing spin-only stuff in the F&P washer. It's very easy, using the advice to balance it as needed noted in the other posting. And the speeds of up to 1,000 RPM mean that regular cycle clothing comes out mostly dry already when complete ... a huge plus.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryApril 3, 2008
open washing machine
Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer
Making a Washer Lariat Necklace
Making a Washer Lariat Necklace
A repairman looking at a washing machine.
Repairing a Washer That Won't Drain or Spin
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid