Cleaning Cake Decorating Bags

I bake and decorate cakes, as a second income, and use washable bags for my frosting. Over time, the bags seem to develop an odor of stale shortening, which I can't seem to get rid of. The bags are not cheap, so I can't keep replacing them, and the odor doesn't seem to transfer over to the cake I am working on, but it just bothers me that I can't get rid of the odor. I don't like the disposable bags, because they are too stiff, and they're not cheap either. I don't have a dishwasher to wash them in, but I try to use really hot water, and even let them soak, but it doesn't matter. Any suggestions on what I should use?

Mrs. Mutt

After you have washed your bags try soaking them overnight in some white distilled vinegar, the acid from the vinegar will usually dissolve the odor but after you use this technique you will have to rinse the bags again thoroughly. You may even decide to use water with it instead of the vinegar by itself it's really up to you.

What about making a paste of baking soda and water and rubbing the inside and outside with this paste and letting it sit for a while and then washing them.

I haven't tried this but it sounds like it would work. After your bag is clean, line your expensive bag with a freezer zip bag filling both bags and cutting off the tip of the plastic bag, and use your tip. This way if any icing gets on it would only be a small amount near the tip.

Good Luck,

I would try a small amount of bleach in a sink full of water, overnight. I don't think the bleach would harm the bags in any way, since bleach is what is added to our drinking water, to clean & purify it.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesDecember 16, 2004
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
piping on a cake
Food Decorating with Ziploc Bags
Feng Shui Decorating, Feng Shui Decorating
Feng Shui Decorating