Browsing: Removing Pet Poop Odor from Carpets

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Pet Poop Odor from Carpets

Once the feces is picked up, this smell can linger. This guide is about removing pet poop odor from carpets.

Removing Pet Poop Odor from Carpets  0 Layout Assign
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 6, 2008 Flag

My two dogs have started pooping in the house and I have tried everything from bleach to vinegar to get rid of the smell, nothing is working. I have had to open the windows to help somewhat disburse the smell, but still can smell it. Please any suggestions will be appreciated to get rid of this smell.

Amy from Evansdale

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you catch it in time use alcohol to get rid of the smell. Just sprinkle a little over the area they used and for urine, baking soda works well. Sprinkle that over the urine and then wait a little while and go back and vacuum.

Pick it up and throw it into the toilet. Then burn a match or two in the area. (Works in the bathroom too! Cheapest air freshener there is after poop is removed!)

My dog pees in just one place in the living room, Sometimes poops there as well. So I got rid of the rug, scrubbed everything down. We put down heavy plastic wrap in that area once it was dry, and now once or twice a week I lay out an incontenance pad (plastic backed, absorbant diaper-like material) on top of the plastic wrap. You can buy these pads at a pet store, but after the first ones, which are presented in a way only a dog can smell, you can buy adult incontenance pads at Wallmart which are much cheaper. Dog goes on the pad, and after three or four uses of the pad, I throw it out. I keep a half roll of toilet paper nearby to use to pick up solid waste.

And then burn a match.

A good spot clean and then dump baking soda on it. Make sure to get as much of the moisture out of the spot that you can and then liberal amounts of baking soda left to sit will absorb the odor. Then vacuum it up. Don't forget to take care of your vac bag though. They can hold odors in your house that your nose may be used to, yet company can peg right away....

Rubbing alcohol?

Read More Answers...

March 24, 2010 Flag

How do you get doggy diarrhea smell out of your carpet? My carpet is very plush and a neutral color.

By Cindy from Alvin, TX

Try putting activated charcoal chips, you can find at a hardware store, wrapped in a pair of old stockings (or anything that allows them to breathe) and sit it on top of the area. These are cheap and really absorb odors. Just don't put them directly on the carpet as I would be afraid they may leave a stain.

Listerine and water in a pump spray bottle (use the clear one not tinted blue one) works for all nasty niffs and is anti-bacterial, too! Monique :)

Petzyme and the one I use, Nature's Miracle or the WalMart brand all are basically the same, I think. The enzyme does best removing the odor and not too bad removing the stain. I have had to go to a grocery-store located carpet cleaner with solution in a couple of cases. That worked and was cheaper than getting in a regular carpet cleaner. I feel for both you and your doggie. Animals don't understand and humans would rather do almost anything else than.

I've always had success using equal parts vinegar and water.

Read More Answers...

December 9, 2009 Flag

My son takes his diaper and he has smeared poop all over his walls and floor. How do I get the smell out of his rug?

By Amy from Orlando, FL

My son has autism and has done this more times than I want to admit. I have found scrubbing the floor with a cloth that is soapy from liquid Irish Spring gets rid of the smell.

Anyone that has kids has this problem. I use a formula that is 1 quart of warm water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, and 1 drop of Dawn or any other good dish detergent. The vinegar will smell like vinegar, but it evaporates in a little while and will help the water and detergent bind and be more effective. I keep it in a spray bottle under the sink. I have 3 dogs so you can only imagine the messes I have had to clean up.

If the carpet padding is what is stinky, you can let the spray settle into the fibers before blotting it up. This mix is non-toxic, cheap, and effective. I have used this formula for almost 20 yrs. on clothes, rugs, tile, wood flooring, ceramic tile and whatever comes along. So far I have not had any fibers bleach or fade.

I haven't had this specific problem (poop smeared onto things), but I have several cats who have had mishaps. I picked up some enzymatic cleaner, which breaks down the organic stuff. We got ours from Petsmart (I think it is their brand - Petzyme). Best of luck. I hope your little one stops doing this soon!

I've sprinkled dry coffee grounds on rugs, let it sit for several hours and then vacuum or shake outside and it's helped me with odors before. Good luck!

June 12, 2012 Flag

I would like to know how to get rid of the smell and residue of cat poop on carpet. Apparently our cat either had some on her paws or a little on her butt when she used the litter box and it all didn't come off in the box. She walked around the house and left some on the bedroom carpet. Does anyone know a natural way to get rid of the residue and smell? We tried using baking soda, but the residue is still there. How do you clean the area of the rug for this?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

If you haven't already, I'd try a mixture of vinegar and water.

Most any cleaner should take the stain up. For the odor use Natures Miracle, an enzyme cleaner found at most pet stores. Actually the Natures Miracle works well as a cleaner too. Remember it has to be fully dry for the odor to fade. I have also had good luck with a product called Fizzion, for both odor and cleaning.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJanuary 16, 2013
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
Making a Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 10:20:04 AM on 10.0.0.159 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.