Removing Pet Poop Odor from Carpets

Category Odors
Dog on Carpet
Once the feces is picked up, this smell can linger. This guide is about removing pet poop odor from carpets.

My two dogs have started pooping in the house and I have tried everything from bleach to vinegar to get rid of the smell, nothing is working. I have had to open the windows to help somewhat disburse the smell, but still can smell it. Please any suggestions will be appreciated to get rid of this smell.

Amy from Evansdale

Answers

I don't like to hurt your feelings, but if the potty habits of your dogs cannot be corrected, you might have to get rid of both animals.

If your neighbors can smell the stench, one of them might call in the authorities and remove both dogs from the premises.

I'm not sensitive to fragrances, so I would just drown it with commercial air fresheners from the grocery store. Ask your vet for the name of a dog trainer or behaviorist, and get a quote (costs nothing to do that, right?) on help with the potty problem. Or a knowlegeable breeder can sometimes help. You can get this problem solved and have good dogs! God bless you, Kim

Try Odor Ban, they sell it at Sam's, it is used in hospitals, nursing homes, and by Vets.

Have you just moved? Sounds like their potty timing is off.

Try and retrain the dogs.

I would hope you won't as one person said get rid of your dogs. My dog yes, does poop inside the house. I have a hard time getting up the steps to get outside. I just clean it up and flush. It's not the best, but it is what it is.

I have two dogs. They are like my children. My little girl sometimes has accidents at night because she is to little to hold herself all night. I just clean it up and soak the spot good with Febreze. The extra strong stuff. For the air I use AIRWICK Neutra AIR 2 in 1. It kills odors and freshens the air.

Try Nature's Miracle. You can find it in pet stores and buy it in small enough quantities to just try out. It has enzymes that break down the stench and clean it up completely. It was recommended to us by our vet when we moved into a house whose owners had a dog. While he didn't do his business in the house, he sure did smell! :)

I have a yorkie and throw rugs are her favorite spots so I put it on the shower floor. My older brit has hip problems and dribbles. If going out a pair of doggie undies work for either end. Don't sweat the small stuff. I worry more on getting bills paid for good credit, poop flushes, interest hikes don't.

(sent by email)

Go to a pet store and buy a Jug of Nature's Remedy, it is guaranteed to get rid of any odor. We rented a house once, that had 38 cats in it, can you imagine how that place smelled? This stuff got rid of the smell, try it. You may have to use it a couple of times, but it will work. By WandaA from Flint Michigan

If you catch it in time use alcohol to get rid of the smell. Just sprinkle a little over the area they used and for urine, baking soda works well. Sprinkle that over the urine and then wait a little while and go back and vacuum.

Pick it up and throw it into the toilet. Then burn a match or two in the area. (Works in the bathroom too! Cheapest air freshener there is after poop is removed!)

My dog pees in just one place in the living room, Sometimes poops there as well. So I got rid of the rug, scrubbed everything down. We put down heavy plastic wrap in that area once it was dry, and now once or twice a week I lay out an incontenance pad (plastic backed, absorbant diaper-like material) on top of the plastic wrap. You can buy these pads at a pet store, but after the first ones, which are presented in a way only a dog can smell, you can buy adult incontenance pads at Wallmart which are much cheaper. Dog goes on the pad, and after three or four uses of the pad, I throw it out. I keep a half roll of toilet paper nearby to use to pick up solid waste.

And then burn a match.

A good spot clean and then dump baking soda on it. Make sure to get as much of the moisture out of the spot that you can and then liberal amounts of baking soda left to sit will absorb the odor. Then vacuum it up. Don't forget to take care of your vac bag though. They can hold odors in your house that your nose may be used to, yet company can peg right away....

How do you get doggy diarrhea smell out of your carpet? My carpet is very plush and a neutral color.

By Cindy from Alvin, TX

I use an enzymatic for those bodily waste accidents. I got Petzyme from Petsmart (which I believe is their brand). You should be able to find other brands elsewhere. Best of luck!

My son takes his diaper and he has smeared poop all over his walls and floor. How do I get the smell out of his rug?

By Amy from Orlando, FL

My son has autism and has done this more times than I want to admit. I have found scrubbing the floor with a cloth that is soapy from liquid Irish Spring gets rid of the smell.

Anyone that has kids has this problem. I use a formula that is 1 quart of warm water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, and 1 drop of Dawn or any other good dish detergent. The vinegar will smell like vinegar, but it evaporates in a little while and will help the water and detergent bind and be more effective. I keep it in a spray bottle under the sink. I have 3 dogs so you can only imagine the messes I have had to clean up.

If the carpet padding is what is stinky, you can let the spray settle into the fibers before blotting it up. This mix is non-toxic, cheap, and effective. I have used this formula for almost 20 yrs. on clothes, rugs, tile, wood flooring, ceramic tile and whatever comes along. So far I have not had any fibers bleach or fade.

I haven't had this specific problem (poop smeared onto things), but I have several cats who have had mishaps. I picked up some enzymatic cleaner, which breaks down the organic stuff. We got ours from Petsmart (I think it is their brand - Petzyme). Best of luck. I hope your little one stops doing this soon!

I've sprinkled dry coffee grounds on rugs, let it sit for several hours and then vacuum or shake outside and it's helped me with odors before. Good luck!

I would like to know how to get rid of the smell and residue of cat poop on carpet. Apparently our cat either had some on her paws or a little on her butt when she used the litter box and it all didn't come off in the box. She walked around the house and left some on the bedroom carpet. Does anyone know a natural way to get rid of the residue and smell? We tried using baking soda, but the residue is still there. How do you clean the area of the rug for this?

By Linda from Brighton, MI