Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Using Creamer as a Substitute for Milk

Use original flavored coffee creamer instead of milk for baking and cooking. I use original creamer in place of milk when making pancakes, baking, or making mac and cheese. It's cheaper, more convenient, and tastes better.

By Mary from WI

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Maya Lee [9]01/16/2011

I am lactose intolerant and use creamer to make a creamy seafood soup. I am able to enjoy this again.

By Lilac [18]12/01/2010

Creamer has no nutritional value.

By merlene smith [4]11/30/2010

Coffee creamer has partiallly hydrogenated fat which milk doesn't have.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Using Creamer as a Substitute for Milk

Does anyone know how I can substitute non-dairy creamer for milk? Is it just the same amount of non-dairy creamer as milk called for in a recipe, or do I need to adjust the amount of the non-dairy product? Thanks so much.

Bonnie from Tuckerton, NJ

RE: Using Creamer as a Substitute for Milk

(format_html) Every once in a while I don't have milk for a recipe that I am in the middle of. I started using creamer mixed with hot water and the recipe ends up tasting better. Plus I don't need to go to the store for milk. We always have lots of creamer since we use a lot for coffee.

By RoseMary B.

Along that line I used evaporated fat-free milk, even if it calls for cream. It makes it richer & gives it more flavor than just fat-free milk. (04/07/2005)

By Vicki

I use water in place of milk in many recipes...bread, biscuits and dumplings come to mind. They don't taste any different, and it cuts a few calorie sand is lower in fat.. And when I do use milk, I use 2%. I also use olive oil in place of solid shortening. Measure about 1/3 less of oil than the recipe calls for of shortening.

By Harlean from Arkansas

I use powdered milk most of the time. (04/08/2005)

By sandy

I'm so surprised to see that someone else uses the creamer trick! LOL I've been doing this for years. I've used it in homemade breads, used in for mashed potatoes when I've realized I'm out of milk--too late. The uses are endless and I've never had a problem OR complaint about the taste. I have never shared this secret with my family though so that probably explains the lack of complaints. If they only knew.....I don't feel so alone now. :o) (04/23/2005)

By nagymom

I cannot use Creamer in making puddings. It will not firm up. Can you help? (02/04/2007)

By Carolyn

My 4 year old daughter is allergic to milk and soya. I am going to try and use creamer instead of milk in recipes. What quantity do I mix with hot water to get the desired effect? (06/22/2007)

By Xanthe

(06/28/2008)

I just used non-dairy creamer in place of milk for Peanut Butter Blossom cookie recipe and they turned out perfect! I didn't add any water. (08/31/2008)

By Jennifer

Many in our family are lactose intolerant and when our son (who is the most affected) went to college. I learned from the Food Services chef that he substitutes non-dairy creamer in cream soups and sauces. I have been doing this since with great results. I also use non-dairy creamer in cake frosting, and in baking. (10/12/2008)

By Lois

I use creamer in my coffee. One night I was making a box of mac and cheese when, after getting the noodles done, I realized that I was out of milk. I got out the coffee creamer and read that you could make a liquid creamer out of the powder. So I stuck a small cup of water in the microwave and heated it up add the creamer, mixed and put it in the mac and cheese it was better than with milk because it was creamery. I now use coffee creamer in a lot of my cooking. It makes things a lot better than plain milk.

By Angel from Catlettsburg, KY

I use this too, and it is also great for when you have small kittens. They tolerate it better for some reason. I love it in my mac and cheese, thought I was the only one too! LOL! (10/30/2008)

By Crafty Chrissy

I find that flavored creamer for your coffee is wonderful on hot cereal! (11/01/2008)

By Poor But Proud

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.