Why Did the Lids Pop on My Canned Soup?

I made bean soup and canned it. Later the lids started to pop. How can I keep this from happening?

By Linda from Maryland

Best Answer

If you have already canned them and they have sat on the shelf for a while then bacteria has formed. Dispose of the canned bean soup immediately. If you just canned them and the lids pop that means it is sealed. Test it by pushing down on the lid. If it moves something is wrong and do not eat it. If it is down and unmoveable it is ok. Be sure you have canned them properly since some foods require a pressure canner. Hope this helps.

The popping lids mean your jars are sealed.

You may be filling your jars to full or the rim of the jars are not clean make sure you pressure them the full amount of time.good luck

Mason jar of canned soup
Why Did the Lids Pop on My Canned Soup?
Food and Recipes CanningSeptember 20, 2010
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Plastic Lid Photo Ornament
Uses for Plastic Lids
Plastic Lid Man
Crafts Using Plastic Lids