Less Odors from the Cat Box

When cleaning cat boxes, the ammonia smell lingers. Although ammonia is a weak base, it can also be a weak acid. Sure stinks, though. So let's add cat urine and notice it's PH level is also slightly acidic. My solution was to reduce the acidity by putting a small layer of wood ash from my fireplace in the bottom of the cat box, then add the litter. The lower PH of the ashes neutralizes the odor.

Source: Chemistry class, 1967

By bisonjump from Anaconda, MT

What a great tip! I never would have thought of that.

Thanks!

That's really interesting! I don't have a fireplace, but my mom has a pellet-burning stove, wonder if that would work as well? Thanks for the idea!

March 8, 2011 Flag

When cleaning out the litter box for my cat, I scrub the box outside with a watering holes and water, or you can use a basin in your basement. When you clean out the box, before you put the litter in, fill a 1/4 inch around the box with baking soda and uncooked plain rice (the white kind). This helps curb the smell after a day of use by your cat(s) or your kitten(s). You will be surprise at the outcome. :O)

Source: I did this on my cat Oreo and it works wonders!

By Kelly from Medina, OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 28, 2009 Flag

Add a cup of baking soda to the cat box. It will help cut down on odors.

Answers:

Less Odors from the Cat Box

Hi, I use the kitty litter that you can scoop out with a litter spoon. I use a slotted spoon that from the $ store, the holes are much smaller and I can get the little stuff out. Makes the litter last a lot longer. (05/18/2004)

By Liz

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A cat smelling a litter box
Cleaning and Maintaining a Cat Litter Box
Pets Pet OdorsMarch 8, 2011
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat in Litter Box
Preventing Litter Box Odors
A trunk for putting congratulations card into at a wedding.
Making a Card Box for Your Wedding
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 6:36:16 PM on 10.0.1.80 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.