Reusing a Desk Fan

I have an electric desk fan that has broken well beyond repair. I was wondering if I could line the wire covers with newspapers or cloth or something (for drainage) fill them with compost, and use them for sowing mint (which is very invasive). Does anyone have a better idea of what I could do with them before I decide to toss them out and regret it afterward when some great idea dawns on me but its too late! Thanks for any suggestions.

By Cett from Malta, Europe

I'm not sure how big your desk electric fan is, but, last year when I woke up and the standing fan blades had broken, and thank goodness that the fan coverings kept the pieces of blades from hitting my pet, myself, or breaking something. I keep the two pieces of the covers for the fan, and they are shallow and I use them for drying my mints and other plants for teas. They are great for drying them.

You also could use them for drying food in your oven, or inside your car in the sun. Put something under the drying food, so nothing drips, but, otherwise, it's not too hot, the mesh is great for drying food because air can reach all sides. Mine is white painted metal, so I mostly just use mine for drying plants outside in a dry sunny day for tea. I have spearmint, peppermint, chocolate, lemon and orange mints. I also have catmint, lemon balm, bee balm, anise hyssop, and various others for teas. :) So, I do like my larger mesh "baskets" for them to dry in them from the former broken fan.

You also mentioned that yours are metal too, there are a lot of plastic ones available, and those could be usable for drying things outside, but, probably not in an oven.

If you have a pond, you could use one of the metal coverings on the fan and attach to a long pole and use to clean fallen leaves from the pond. My husband made one from an old fan and he uses it every fall to keep leaves out of it.

Line well, attach ropes or chains, and use as a hanging basket. You would have to use trailing plants so they hang over the top. I did this with old metal lampshades so could plant through the sides as well. They need a lot of watering though. Marg from England

A thought is to turn it bowl side up and hang stuff from the bottom and make a round wind chime with stuff you have on hand; mismatched spoons,forks, knifes, fishing weights, metal thimbles, metal bobbins, etc. It would be unique and interesting. Possibilities are endless. If you do make something please post here so we can see it! Thanks

My backyard is very small so the idea of a hanging plant is excellent! Just one more query, what do I line the inside with, to prevent the soil from seeping out when I water it? I have a lot of old t-shirts, would they do? Thanks for all your suggestions. Any more ideas out there, please? I have two covers. One will be a hanging basket for sure, no room for a wind chime, unfortunately, and they are way too big to fit in my oven. Thank you all so much.

Try lining with an old plastic bag with a few holes poked in it, then a t-shirt and then soil. Or felt might do instead of bag and shirt. Hope it turns out well. Marg from England.

You can also use the blades in a recycling project.

You can take it apart, paint the blades and put a metal rod thru it & use in your garden as a pinwheel! You could paint it to resemble a sunflower, etc..

Just use a metal rod with a bent top that can go thru the hole where the screw attached it to the fan body & use a "wire nut" glued over the end of the bent wire, it should hold. {you could also use a straightened wire coat hanger for that part and just tape it to a wooden dowel}

Thanks so much for your ideas. I'm keeping the blades as well since I didn't realize that I could recycle them, too.

Broken Fan
Reusing a Broken Fan
Better Living Green Living ReusingSeptember 30, 2009
Leather Topped Desk
Removing Paper Stuck to a Leather Topped Desk
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Drawer Organizer
Desk Drawer Organizer Ideas
Ceiling Fan
Repairing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan
🎉
🎄