Smoked Sausage Dinner

• 3 cans French-style green beans
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes
  • 5-6 small potatoes, scrubbed and cut into bite-size pieces
  • smoked sausage, cut in chunks
  • seasonings to taste

Directions:

Put all above ingredients in crockpot and cook on high for 4-5 hours.

By Robin from Washington, IA

This is another recipe from "The Penny Pincher's Cookbook". It would be hard to find a cheaper, easier meal, and it's very tasty too.

• 1 lb. smoked sausage, chopped
  • 1 (1 lb. 2 oz.) can hominy, white or yellow
  • 2 (15 oz.) cans black eyed peas or bean of preference, drained

Directions:

Brown the sausage in a skillet for about 5 minutes. Add the hominy with a little of the liquid and the drained black eyed peas. Simmer together until hot and tasty, about 20 minutes, adding a little more water or broth if necessary.

Good served with cornbread.

Servings: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes

Source: "The Penny Pincher's Cookbook" by Sophie Leavitt

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

Hillshire Farms Smoked All-Beef Sausage is a staple refrigerated item at our house, and we keep a couple packages in the freezer all the time. It is so good done on the grill with a little Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce or Bulls Eye BBQ Sauce, or even one that you've made yourself, so this recipe is good to go.

Thanks for sharing it. Sounds so good...and so easy too. I'm getting to the age when I look for easy now. LOL Easy and simple.

Pookarina

As is, this is a long way from being a satisfying meal. Better get busy with some sauteed onion, garlic, red bell peppers, diced green chiles, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, cilantro or parsley. As suggested, a little Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce wouldn't hurt either. Serve it over rice with grated cheese melted on top and you're good to go.

Good suggestions, Cookie2, but the point of this recipe is to make a fast, easy, nutritious meal on a very small budget. There have been many times when I was happy to put a meal like this on the table and didn't have the money to buy the things you mentioned. The flavors in this dish mix amazingly well, and make a very satisfying meal when you are happy to put something hot with actual meat in it on the table. Today I might add a variety of things to the dish, since I usually can. Back in the day, it was a great meal when I could add bread and hot sauce.

This is a really simple recipe that would be satisfying and tasty. And if you have other things to add to it in your cupboards, this is the kind of recipe that would stand good alone or mesh well with many different add ins! @ cookie2, I don't know if you were just having a bad day, but your comment seems kind of rude. If you don't like the recipe, you don't have to comment, and if you insist on commenting, you could have been a little nicer ;)

I just saw this recipe (trying to catch up on what I fell behind in reading). It sounds like something that my granny would've made for her family during hard times & just because they liked it. I think it sounds like a good, simple, fast meal. Hamburger would be as good as the sausage if you don't have it. Thanks for the idea, I can't wait to try it!