TreesGardening

Planting Rooted Willow Tree Branches

I recently cut a bunch of pencil size limbs from my willow tree. I placed them in a vase full of water. This was about a month ago. They are growing roots like crazy. It is early November in upstate NY. What do I do with them now? Start transplanting them into pots, etc.? I really wanted to put them in the ground, but its close to Winter.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Eric from Upstate, NY

You should go ahead and plant them in the ground. You still have plenty of time before the ground freezes completely, and the roots will get a good head start on the spring. This is the best time to plant, really. You don't have to worry about them drying out in extreme heat, and fewer critters are out to snack on them. Don't worry! And you're still worried about them not making it, cut a few more branches and stick them in the ground (without even soaking them!) next to these. Willows are super rooters, and are amazingly hardy. No worries!

I would just plant them if they do not make it do it again next Spring. I planted willow branches once upside down and they rooted just fine. I live in zone 4.

I just read a tip on transplanting trees just recently and I agree with the previous post (I am in Northeast PA). The tip also said if you have a balled tree, leave it in the burlap. Dig the hole slightly less deep than the ball so that a small portion of the ball sticks out. Lightly cover it with soil. Put a little more soil on the top of the ball in the spring. My thought was if you are worried, put the rooted cuttings in soil in a burlap bag too. Then plant. It may offer a little of the protection you think they need. Just a thought!

When planting willow trees be sure not to plant close to your house foundation because the roots travel and will grow under it and break it up.