Salt Dough Ghosts and Leaf Garlands

I wanted some simple, small decorations for Halloween and fall. I had read an idea in a magazine about making these little salt dough ghosts, so I tried it out. Ghosts and leaves.

Granted, it didn't look as good as in the magazine, but it provided my 6 year old son and I with something to do for about a half hour and some decorations that (hopefully) can be used again after this year.

Salt Dough Ghosts

• 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1/2 cup water

1. Mix together and separate into 6 parts.
  2. Form into ghosts (or anything else you think is appropriate).
  3. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time until firm. Let cool.
  4. Draw on faces or accents with permanent marker.

Leaf Garlands

I also came up with a cute idea for a little garland - I just found freely available coloring pages of leaves, printed out multiple leaves on each page, colored them, and strung them along some rope that I had for bead stringing. It was another great thing for my son and I to do together.

Leaf garland.

I know these aren't very grand, but it makes me happy to have home made decorations in my home, and to know I really didn't spend a cent to do it.

(And one more note - ignore all the other stuff on top of my TV!)

By Jackie from Feasterville, PA

Hay i think they are great and you spent time with your child while haveing fun and homemade is the best good for you keep it up from a Great-Grand -mother who enjoys doing thing for her kids

Thank you for sharing this. I am going to try my hand at this with my 5yr old daughter. They look really cute and sound like fun to make.

How creative and cute.

Those are so cute, I bet this could also be used to make cute snowmen for Christmas!

i think that is so cool i am going to try some with my grand kids,thanks for sharing,

Dar in HOT Texas

Thanks ladies! Yeah I was thinking this technique could be used for many decorations. I recently saw something published online about making christmas ornaments out of salt dough. Great idea for saving some money on those way-too-expensive decorations!

Hey, this is a very good idea you have going. I would like to make some things to go on my Christmas Wreath this year. I'm tired of the old ones I have now. I can make new ones and wont have to spend to much. Great idea, thinks.

Your salt dough ghosts look really great.Next time, if you add 1/8 teaspoon of alum to your mixture, your ghosts will last forever!

We are making these tonight and adding a pin on the back so my girls can wear them to the school Halloween Party tomorrow!! thanks!!

Hey this sounds like a great idea! I am going to try it with my after school care kids!! Ages 5-11, this should be interesting!

Salt Dough Ornament
Crafts Using Salt Dough
Crafts MiscellaneousOctober 2, 2006
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Man Kneading Pizza Dough
Freezing Pizza Dough
Rollong pin on round of pizza dough.
Biscuit Pizza Dough Recipes
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments