Use Your Oven Heat to Warm Your House

After using your oven in the winter, turn it off and leave the door open so the leftover heat can spread into your home. Of course you need to keep small children away until it cools, but when it comes to conserving energy and money every little bit sure adds up.

By Patricia from Imperial, NE

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I do this too, plus after I use a stove burner (electric), I put my full tea kettle on it. The heat left warms the water, allowing that warmth to radiate from the kettle.

I also keep the oven door open after it has been used. I remember my mother doing it many years ago.

I also do this in cold months. Conversely, in warm months I seldom use my oven and opt for the grill or electric slow cooker instead.

I have done this for quite a few years - so good to see that others think like I do!

Here's some other related ideas. Let your dishwasher air dry, and let that hot air out in the cool months; if you can crack the door vs. fold it all of the way out, that's much safer (in the hotter months, run it overnight!). In addition, if you have stoneware, that gets extremely hot, I found. Use a heat mitt to take those out of the dishwasher and they radiate heat like crazy.

I hate to break it to you guys, but it doesn't matter whether you open the door to the dishwasher after dishes or to the oven after cooking. The same amount of heat has to be removed from the washer/oven either way - COE. Opening the door only speeds up the rate of heat rejection.

Comment

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsOctober 6, 2008
Keeping Your Oven Clean, Young Woman Cleaning her Oven
Keeping Your Oven Clean
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
Watering Flowers
Helping Your Garden Beat The Heat
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2016 at 3:49:10 PM on 10.0.2.141 in 936 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.