Making Ham and Cabbage

I love ham and cabbage. I was wondering, when you make ham and cabbage, do you take most of the fat off of the ham before adding the cabbage? I baked a smoked ham, shank end. It is so full of fat that I was wondering if I should remove most of the fat before putting the leftover bone with meat into the pot of water. I would think the fat would all mix in with the cabbage. Thanks.

P.J. from Delaware

Yes, remove that fat first. You don't want to be eating it. You will still get plenty of good flavor from the meat and bone.

Yes, the fat gives most of the flavor and softens the cabbage, and yes, it is very bad for you. Cut off all fat, using meat and bones. First saute onions in butter or "good" oil, add bones and ham, and then add chicken broth. (I save mine when I boil chicken parts). You'll get a great cabbage.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceFebruary 4, 2009
Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Freezing Leftover Ham
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
Ham Loaf
Ham Loaf Recipes
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
🎄
🍂