Buying on Sale and Preparing Hamburger Meat

When I can ad match hamburger for around $1.38 I buy the 5 lb containers, then bring it home and cook one package at a time in my crock pot on high for about 5-6 hours, while I'm doing other things around the house.

Then after the meat is done I run it through my food processor with the grinding blade to make it like Taco Bell meat. I freeze it in 2 cup packages and it hurries up those nights of spaghetti, tacos, sloppy joes, etc. I usually do a package a day for a few days in a row and that'll keep us stocked until the next sale.

By Melanie Mom2_5 from IL

Great idea, Melanie....thanx for the tip!!!!

Thanks for the tip on putting it thru the food processor, I have never thought of that. I do use the crockpot tho to cook up bulk packaging.

Thanks for the tip!

This is one I copied and saved. Also one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" items. I love the idea of browning the meat ahead of time but the mess with the skillet and greasy stovetop always dettered me until absolutely necessary. I'm going to try this one today! j

Doesn't the meat stay greasy or is it easy to seperate from the meat to drain? Thanks - love this idea!!

I have been cooking bulk meat and storing for years and never thought about using a crock pot. Thanks for the tip.

Have read that some cook meat in water then package it in 1or2 cup portions,draining away the fat:healthier,& faster when in hurry.