To Top

Using D Con Rodent Poison

Is it true that if a rodent dies from the poison D Con, it does not leave an odor?

By cricket from San Diego, CA

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in February! Click here to find out more...
Ad

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

August 12, 20100 found this helpful

That is what I have always been told.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 13, 20101 found this helpful

We have used all types of rodent killers over the years, and the only thing that does not cause an odor, is if they are caught in a trap and disposed of immediately. It never mattered what brand of poison we put out, if they died anywhere near the house, such as in the walls, or under the house, they always smell. Maybe it makes a difference in the locality, such as heat, humidity, etc.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
August 13, 20100 found this helpful

When I was married every now and then we would have a mouse and we always used d-con. That is all my now "ex" would use and it never smelled. This is in South Dakota and believe me it gets hot and humid here, in the summer. I imagine if a person has enough of the critters in the house they might smell when they die. What my "ex" said is that with d-con they eat it and go back to their hole before they die.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Ad
October 21, 20101 found this helpful

As a training Vet Tech and having gone to school with people in funeral service, Medical fields and near taxidermists i can say one thing. Dead things smell! (even after being pumped with formaldehyde and other preservative the scent of decay can be smelt on people at least.

As the body decays going threw the may stages of decomposition it's bound to leave a tall tale Odor. The body issues turning to a soupy slush of flesh blood and liquified organs no amount of poison or air freshener outside of professional death scene clean up can completely remove the Oder. It may take a bit more time since its dehydrated (the poison) but overall if left in the walls or house it will smell once it begins liquefying.

The only issue is how bad and that's more based on location. Naturally if it dies in an air vent you'll be smelling it in no time. In the basement wall. You may have a better chance of avoiding the smell. But chances are certain poisons make rodents thirty and they will go outside to get water. That's when the poison kills them. So the 'no smell' is just that they died outside.

So if you have pets (or there are endangered birds or animals in the area) they may eat the sick and dying mouse and get sick itself. And if it dies in your walls even if by some miracle it doesn't smell who wants a dead animals in there walls growing harmful bacteria. (or in a child's room where they can touch it). Best choice is a snap trap. Something you can check regularly and throw away to prevent any illnesses and it'll let you see that you indeed caught the culprit.

Hopefully that's helpful.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
Ad

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Rodent Control, Closeup of Wood Mouse
Rodent Control
Categories
Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 12, 2010
Guides
Poison Oak leaves.
Getting Rid of Poison Oak
Poison Sumac Bush
Remedies for Poison Sumac
A photo of mouse.
Getting Rid of Mice Without Poison
A woman holding her nose.
Getting Rid of Dead Rodent Odors in a Wall
More
😎
Summer Ideas!
🎆
Fourth of July Ideas!
👔
Father's Day Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/06/21 16:18:31 in 2 secs.
Loading Something Awesome!