Dealing With Lady Beetles

Help, I have ladybugs in the house. I live in the country and they are everywhere. Any solutions other than an exterminator?

By momssspecialangel

Don't hurt those Ladies. Pick them up and put them outside where they can eat all of your aphids up, your roses will thank you. Ladybugs are harmless and gardeners buy them by the bag full!

I believe what most people refer to as "lady bugs" red/black are the orange/black beetle and quite a nuisance when indoors. They put off an odor that people with allergies are sensitive to. They also make your vacuum sweeper bag emit odor when these beetles are sucked up.

At Family Dollar Stores, you can purchase four small cans of insect fogger in one box that you place under the house and will kill what has come out and lingers under the house keeping more from entering.

However, we've had them indoors really bad before using the fogger spray and I had a glass jar 3/4 filled with water and PineSol and scooped the pests into the jar using the lid and screwed it back on trapping the beetles inside and the PineSol kills them quickly. You can then empty into the toilet or pour outdoors and make another batch of PineSol solution. They migrate to sunlight by day and lamplight at night, so this will help you get those few that were not within the zone of the fogger spray.

Have your local energy supply company (electricity, gas) come and do an energy audit. When you are done correcting all the deficiencies they find, your house will be ladybug-proof. I remember that icky smell when I vacuumed them out of the windowsills, no regrets at all. There were certainly enough already outside for the needs of roses for several blocks around.

I use a cordless hand vac and go around and sweep the bugs up. Then I go outside and release them. On bad days I have had to do it three or four times but have discovered that I now have a lot fewer bugs inside. Each year there are fewer and fewer by using this method.

April 28, 2009 Flag

I am having a major issue with lady beetles in my very old house. These bugs were released to battle another pest and now they have become a pest! Lady beetles look like ladybugs but are a dark orange. Right now there are about 50 in an upstairs window. Short of spraying a poison or calling an exterminator, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

BellaNell from Pleasant Mt. PA

Dealing With Lady Beetles

These type of beetles are a real pest. They love light and come in through windows. If you have a crawl space under your house, get several cans of bug bomb and release it under the house. The can will tell you how far to place them apart. They work great for us and fewer beetles enter the house and it kills off spiders.

Also, you can use a covered jar with Pinesol and water and scoop the few beetles that do make it into the home and put into the jar. The Pinesol kills them quickly and covers over the odor they release. Refrain from using the vacuum to suck them up because their released odor is unhealthy to some people. (04/09/2008)

By Lorelei

Dealing With Lady Beetles

We have been having a problem with these awful things for several years now. One of the worst things about them is they lay eggs, and next year when the temperatures grow warm, the beetles hatch out. Especially around windows. Those things do bite, and lots of people find they are allergic to them. If you swat them and kill them, they leave behind a nasty smell. Wipe down the window sills and door frames with Tea-Tree Oil. Evidently they don't like this smell, and it kills some of them besides.

Use your vacuum cleaner and just vacuum them right up. You'll have to do this several times in a row to get them all at one time out of one window. You can stuff the hose end of the vacuum with a wadded paper towel to keep them from escaping while you move from one room to another. When finished, throw the entire vacuum cleaner bag away (put it in a ziplock bag, so those pests can't escape into the air). We absolutely hate these Lady Bug Beetles. They were even in our RV and started hatching out little ones as the sun warmed up the windshield, and the windows. Those that got out were all over the exterior of the RV. It looked like measles. Hope this helps you some.

By Barb in Tennessee

Dealing With Lady Beetles

Instead of killing them, check with a local greenhouse to see if they will buy them to sell to other customers.

By Marie

Dealing With Lady Beetles

I used duct tape cut in a strip, and made into a loop with the sticky side out. Then put on a stick (dowel- or yard stick) so you can reach the ceiling. Change when needed. Don't crush them, as they stink. (04/10/2008)

Dealing With Lady Beetles

We had a bad problem with those nasty little buggers. We bought and burned small Mulberry candles and put on the window sills. (04/11/2008)

By hoodermom

Dealing With Lady Beetles

Someone posted this solution one time. Take an empty gallon jug, add some water, dish soap, and vinegar--not sure of the amounts. They will crawl in and not crawl out. (04/11/2008)

By Sandy

Dealing With Lady Beetles

I had an exterminator come for the same problem. He said there is no stuff out there. Yes, I have used the spray bottle with soapy water, but then it rains and you do again. (04/11/2008)

By sandy63

Home and Garden Pest Control BugsApril 28, 2009
Ladybug on a blade of grass
Lady Bug Photos and Information
Japanese beetle eating a leaf.
Getting Rid of Japanese Beetles
Asian Beetles
Getting Rid of Asian Beetles