Dealing With Lady Beetles

Help, I have ladybugs in the house. I live in the country and they are everywhere. Any solutions other than an exterminator?

By momssspecialangel

Don't hurt those Ladies. Pick them up and put them outside where they can eat all of your aphids up, your roses will thank you. Ladybugs are harmless and gardeners buy them by the bag full!

I believe what most people refer to as "lady bugs" red/black are the orange/black beetle and quite a nuisance when indoors. They put off an odor that people with allergies are sensitive to. They also make your vacuum sweeper bag emit odor when these beetles are sucked up.

At Family Dollar Stores, you can purchase four small cans of insect fogger in one box that you place under the house and will kill what has come out and lingers under the house keeping more from entering.

However, we've had them indoors really bad before using the fogger spray and I had a glass jar 3/4 filled with water and PineSol and scooped the pests into the jar using the lid and screwed it back on trapping the beetles inside and the PineSol kills them quickly. You can then empty into the toilet or pour outdoors and make another batch of PineSol solution. They migrate to sunlight by day and lamplight at night, so this will help you get those few that were not within the zone of the fogger spray.

Have your local energy supply company (electricity, gas) come and do an energy audit. When you are done correcting all the deficiencies they find, your house will be ladybug-proof. I remember that icky smell when I vacuumed them out of the windowsills, no regrets at all. There were certainly enough already outside for the needs of roses for several blocks around.

I use a cordless hand vac and go around and sweep the bugs up. Then I go outside and release them. On bad days I have had to do it three or four times but have discovered that I now have a lot fewer bugs inside. Each year there are fewer and fewer by using this method.