Safety Concerns With Car GPS

They did a segment on TV the other day about how thieves are stealing cars with GPS's. Not only do they have your car but they can program your GPS to take them to right to your home. As soon as i heard about this, I took my GPS and reprogrammed my home address to an address I made up just down the road from me. They may have my car but they sure won't find out where I live!

By clutterfree from Charleston, SC

I also saw this segment, & it scared me too! But, did you ever think that all a thief has to do is look at your car's registration?

I was talking to a reformed thief several years back & I was blown away when he told me that he could break in to your car while you're at work & know where you live & be to your house & gone before you came home, just by looking at your car's registration. In his past, he said he targeted BMW's etc parked in the spots they assign to Doctors at hospitals. He said, he figure's if they had a car this nice, then their home & belongings would be too. He got inside the owner's home with the garage door remote! LOCK your inside garage door to you home! Very scarey indeed! (thank God for video cameras).

* He said he'd never enter a home with a car parked in the driveway, or one with a barking dog or with an alarm sign in the yard. Thankfully I always have an extra car parked in my driveway (my mom thinks it looks tacky to not have it parked in the garage, but I don't care!)

That's all very well Clutterfree, but what about the poor people at the address "just down the road"!

Instead of an address down the street program in the address of the local Sheriff or PD dept.also a good idea to keep your registration with your license instead of your glove box.I know this doesn't work with more than one owner.

I've been a stay-at-home Mom for a long time. My trick was always to leave the garage door open from time to time, and periodically walk outside, to look at the flowers in the front yard etc. Anything to make it plain that someone was home.

Also, when someone would ring my front doorbell, if it was someone I didn't know, I would walk out the garage onto the driveway and ask them what they wanted outside in view of the street, rather than opening the door.

If you read your instructions, you are not supposed to leave the GPS unit in your car. You are supposed to disengage and put it in a pouch in your purse or briefcase and bring it back in the house. NOt to mention these sensitive units can be damaged by the extreme temps in parked cars whether hot or cold.

I think the best and safest idea, is to put in the nearest busy cross corners to your home. You should be able to find your way home if you get that far, right? :)

Besides other great questions and comments posted here, whatever happened to thrifty good old fashioned maps and pre-planned directions instead of using an expensive system which, in many cases, are inaccurate or unclear?

Better Living Safety HomeJune 17, 2009
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Infant car seat.
Car Seat Safety
GPS Mount for Your Car
Making a GPS Mount for Your Car
Man Holding GPS
Using a Garmin GPS
🎄
🍂