Oiling the Cupboard Doors

My mom was 85 when she died, and she was a widow for over 20 years. So I had to laugh when she told me she used Wesson oil to stop her cupboard door from squeaking. She used it on the front door hinges as well. We have so many nice products nowadays that she didn't have. But if you happen not to have WD40, you might have cooking oil in a pinch.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

That's sweet. My mom is 89 and she and I have used cooking oil for the very same things. As she still often tells me and it is so true: "...what did people use BEFORE they had all of these other products...we did with what we had!" And if only people today would realize this, we would appreciate alot more than we do and stop taking so many things for granted. God Bless your mom....and mine.

Baby oil works great for squeaky bedroom and bathroom doors. Smells nice too! I also take a washcloth with baby oil and run it along my shower rod from end to end. It makes the curtain slip smoothly without sticking.

Fixing a Squeaky Door
Fixing a Squeaky Door
Home and Garden Repair OtherJanuary 10, 2006
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
metal burner covers
Uses for Burner Covers