Browsing: Craft Ideas for Nursing Home Patients

Craft Projects for the Elderly and Disabled

There are so many small craft projects, with assistance that the elderly, handicapped and disabled can do! My most important suggestion is not to involve them in a lengthy project, but one they can accomplish in a short time frame.

Here are a few ideas, but use your imagination as there are a lot of brilliant members on Thrifty Fun!

• Take a photo of this person, assist them to draw around their face on the photo by using a cup centered and an ink pen. Assist or cut out with scissors or pinking sheers. Use a hole punch to make 2 holes an inch apart. using Tacky glue, add a trim piece of lace around the edge of the photo, make a small bow and glue that on the top or bottom but, not to overpower or interfere with their photo. Use a large safety pin between the two holes, allow to dry. Voila! They can wear a pin with their own photo that they helped to create!

• Another easy project is to allow them to look at pictures in magazines to see what draws their interest. Ask them to point, smile, or discuss if they see something they like or has a fond memory for them. Mark these items and also things that you feel the person would like. Cut these out, glue all of these items onto a poster board as a collage! Use a Glitter Pen to put their name at the top! This is a sure hit! Allow them to assist as much as they can! A lace trim glued to the outer edge makes it a tad more fancy!

• Refrigerator magnets are also a hit made from photos, left over craft items, etc. They stick to metal wheel chairs and walkers, you know! Most of all, use your imagination for them for projects!

• I have not come across one person who would not like to help make a homemade card! Left over craft items, paper stock, colored markers and glue! It can be for any occasion of just because!

• Cookie decorating is fun for all!

I guarantee these projects will be a hit and very rewarding, both ways! Their motor skills and abilities may be impaired but, with your help, the possibilities are limitless! Please add your own creative ideas to this! Thank you!

By Missy MM from OH

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Excellent! Perhaps good for Sunday school or classroom kids?

These would've been fun for me to try as occupational therapy when I was recovering from a car wreck 7 years ago this month.

I like these ideas and I intend trying them with the special Needs group I help at. A couple of weeks ago we had a "pottery painting evening". I cast models using rubber moulds and plaster of paris. We had dogs, cats, owls, (soccer) footballers, (British) policemen, lions, rabbits and crinoline ladies. It was an eye-opener seeing what colours the members chose for their models, bright purple and pink cats, orange dogs, a two colour crinoline lady! But they were thrilled, they had done it themselves and they each had a souvenir to take home wrapped in kitchen towel!

Elderly Woman doing needle work
Craft Ideas for Nursing Home Patients
Crafts AdviceFebruary 9, 2010
Ederly woman
Definition of Elderly
Elderly Woman Walking with Daughter
Activities for the Elderly and Disabled
Elderly woman stringing beads
Crafts for Visually Impaired Nursing Home Patients
Disabled veteran in a wheelchair in front of an American flag.
Housing Assistance for Disabled Veterans
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 9:27:44 PM on 10.0.2.78 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.