Craft Projects for the Elderly and Disabled

By Missy 19 41

There are so many small craft projects, with assistance that the elderly, handicapped and disabled can do! My most important suggestion is not to involve them in a lengthy project, but one they can accomplish in a short time frame.

Here are a few ideas, but use your imagination as there are a lot of brilliant members on Thrifty Fun!

I guarantee these projects will be a hit and very rewarding, both ways! Their motor skills and abilities may be impaired but, with your help, the possibilities are limitless! Please add your own creative ideas to this! Thank you!

By Missy MM from OH

Filter Sort

By Poca 1 178 Flag

Excellent! Perhaps good for Sunday school or classroom kids?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lelia Jo Cordell 51 1,936 Flag

These would've been fun for me to try as occupational therapy when I was recovering from a car wreck 7 years ago this month.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Vivienne48 1 Flag

I like these ideas and I intend trying them with the special Needs group I help at. A couple of weeks ago we had a "pottery painting evening". I cast models using rubber moulds and plaster of paris. We had dogs, cats, owls, (soccer) footballers, (British) policemen, lions, rabbits and crinoline ladies. It was an eye-opener seeing what colours the members chose for their models, bright purple and pink cats, orange dogs, a two colour crinoline lady! But they were thrilled, they had done it themselves and they each had a souvenir to take home wrapped in kitchen towel!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Question: Free Online Craft Ideas for the Elderly

By Cora H. 1

I am trying to find online craft ideas, with directions, for elderly people in a nursing home. I have found a few things on creatingtogetherjournal.com, but it only gave me two sample ideas because it is a craft magazine. I volunteer and don't have the money to buy a craft book. If anyone has suggestions, as to where online to find ideas, please respond. Thanks.

By Cora

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Karen H. 10 140 Flag

Try FaveCrafts.com They have easy crafts & recycled crafts & everything for all ages & experience levels. Good Luck & have Fun! : )

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Craft Ideas for Elderly Shut-ins

I am looking for directions or patterns for sewing for elderly shut-ins. Such things as bags for walkers and wheelchairs. Also, lap robes or anything else you might think would be useful to them. I would appreciate your imput.

Judy from Birmingham, AL

Feedback:

RE: Craft Ideas for Elderly Shut-ins

Hi You should try http://www.craftbits.com they have a therapy disabled crafts section for elderly people.

good luck (07/21/2006)

By Trisha

RE: Craft Ideas for Elderly Shut-ins

Dear Judy, Go to this link and download for free this computer software. It gives you all kinds of patterns for bags, shawls, hats, and slippers that are super for anyone. The link is: http://www.wildginger.com/products/wildthings.htm
I've used their software for sewing my daughter's wedding dress and I can tell you, It's a life saver! Hope this helps! CaseyT6 (07/26/2006)

By CaseyT6

RE: Craft Ideas for Elderly Shut-ins

This is more like an aid rather than a craft. If your elderly friend or family want to garden but the seeds are too small for them to see or pick up, the seed can be rolled into a more handy sized ball in dryer lint with a little glue and allowed to dry. Then they still can participate in the beloved gardening but with less eye strain or pain.

If that isn't enough - there was a post awhile back about using strips of toilet paper that seeds are glued onto with a dot of glue spaced as directions suggest and laid in the ground and covered ! That would make for a LOT less bending !
(07/19/2007)

By melody_yesterday

Elderly Woman Walking with Daughter
Activities for the Elderly and Disabled
Crafts AdviceFebruary 9, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Ederly woman
Definition of Elderly
Elderly Woman Walking with Daughter
Activities for the Elderly and Disabled
Two elderly women playing dominos.
Nursing Home Games Ideas
Disabled veteran in a wheelchair in front of an American flag.
Housing Assistance for Disabled Veterans
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 4:50:13 PM on 10.0.2.162 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsCommentsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings