Killing Mosquito Larvae in Standing Water


Can I pour bleach into standing water (not drinking water) to kill the mosquito larvae that are "already" there? I just want to prevent them turning into adults.

Hardiness Zone: 7a

By Marsha from Grafton, VA


Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By mcw 80 1,754 05/30/2010

You can buy tablets that kill mosquito larvae at a garden center. Just give them a call.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Colleen Stuchal 6 76 06/02/2010

What are you going to use the water for? I had this problem with rainwater I was collecting for the flower beds. I just sprayed Raid into the water. It never hurt my flowers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Grandma J 54 1,041 06/02/2010

This is an eco safe link to mosquito control. It has step by step instructions. In a nutshell:

Drop mosquito dunks containing Bacillus thuringiensis into the breeding area. These dunks will last up to 30 days and are safe for animals and children. They can even be used in watering troughs and water bowls. It may take up to 2 weeks before you see results, as these dunks target the larvae and prevent the larvae from hatching, interrupting the breeding cycle.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By jax 5 12 06/02/2010

Purchase a couple or few "feeder fish" (e.g. comets or gold fish) at the local pet store, about a quarter a piece usually they love mosquito larvae. Depending on conditions (e.g. the water stays), they can live for years. If they die, you're out a quarter. Since they eat all of the larvae in a day or so, you'll probably need to drop a few flakes of feed in for them when the larvae are gone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No


Please take the environmentally friendly advice already given here! Chlorine bleach is highly toxic to the general environment as well as to humans and animals!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Maya Lee 14 172 06/02/2010

When I was in high school, we raised mosquitos and had to draw each stage of development. If you put a thin coating of cooking oil on the surface of the water, it blocks their breathing tubes and they die. Non-toxic and you only need a little oil swished over the surface.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Answer This Question