Killing Mosquito Larvae in Standing Water

By marsha 1

Can I pour bleach into standing water (not drinking water) to kill the mosquito larvae that are "already" there? I just want to prevent them turning into adults.

By Marsha from Grafton, VA

Showing: Answers Sort

By mcw 80 1,752 Flag

You can buy tablets that kill mosquito larvae at a garden center. Just give them a call.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Colleen Stuchal 6 76 Flag

What are you going to use the water for? I had this problem with rainwater I was collecting for the flower beds. I just sprayed Raid into the water. It never hurt my flowers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Grandma J 54 1,040 Flag

http://www.ehow.com/how_4450990_kill-mosquitoes-standing-water.html

This is an eco safe link to mosquito control. It has step by step instructions. In a nutshell:

Drop mosquito dunks containing Bacillus thuringiensis into the breeding area. These dunks will last up to 30 days and are safe for animals and children. They can even be used in watering troughs and water bowls. It may take up to 2 weeks before you see results, as these dunks target the larvae and prevent the larvae from hatching, interrupting the breeding cycle.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By jax 5 12 Flag

Purchase a couple or few "feeder fish" (e.g. comets or gold fish) at the local pet store, about a quarter a piece usually they love mosquito larvae. Depending on conditions (e.g. the water stays), they can live for years. If they die, you're out a quarter. Since they eat all of the larvae in a day or so, you'll probably need to drop a few flakes of feed in for them when the larvae are gone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Maya Lee 14 172 Flag

When I was in high school, we raised mosquitos and had to draw each stage of development. If you put a thin coating of cooking oil on the surface of the water, it blocks their breathing tubes and they die. Non-toxic and you only need a little oil swished over the surface.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Pest Control MosquitoesMay 30, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Mosquito Repellant
Mosquito Repellent Reviews
Mosquito Bite Remedies
Mosquito Bite Remedies
Gravel Driveway
Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel
Mosquito Repellant
Mosquito Repellent Reviews
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:59:00 PM on 10.0.2.219 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings