Killing Mosquito Larvae in Rain Barrel

Category Mosquitoes
Using a rain barrel is a great way to conserve water but it can also become a breeding ground for mosquitos. This is a guide about killing mosquito larvae in a rain barrel.

I am catching rainwater. To kill mosquito larvae, how much Clorox per 55 gallon barrel should I be adding? Thanks. CWE

By CW Elliott from Corsica, PA

Answers

Best Answer

I've always heard that churning the water drowns the larvae. This would be better than using chemicals. try churning the water for a minute every day. Also try covering the top with a board during dry weather. This will keep any bugs inside.

Best Answer

To keep them from going back in, make sure to cover with screening, the water can get in but momma mosquito can not. We change the water in our birdbath daily to prevent mosquito colonies.

Churning the water sounds like it would work because mosquitos only lay their larvae in standing water. You could skim them off too and squish them (gross but gets the job done).

Best Answer

A friend of mine and I have been using goldfish for the past few months. They totally take care of any skeeters, and the fish seem happy and healthy. We also feed them regular fish food.

It's kind of fun going out in the morning with a cup of coffee and feeding the fish. :) I have a 29 gallon aquarium to move them into this winter with hopes of reusing them in the barrels next summer.

I just toss in a third or half bar of soap (depending on the size of barrel) and have no problems.