Killing Mosquito Larvae in Standing Water

Category Mosquitoes
Eliminating standing water is the best way to keep mosquitoes from laying eggs and prevent larvae from hatching. If it is impossible or too late for that there are a number of ways to destroy the larvae before they become fully developed mosquitoes. This is a guide about killing mosquito larvae in standing water.

Can I pour bleach into standing water (not drinking water) to kill the mosquito larvae that are "already" there? I just want to prevent them turning into adults.

By marsha from Grafton, VA

Answers

Best Answer

You can buy tablets that kill mosquito larvae at a garden center. Just give them a call.

Best Answer

Purchase a couple or few "feeder fish" (e.g. comets or gold fish) at the local pet store, about a quarter a piece usually they love mosquito larvae. Depending on conditions (e.g. the water stays), they can live for years. If they die, you're out a quarter. Since they eat all of the larvae in a day or so, you'll probably need to drop a few flakes of feed in for them when the larvae are gone.

Best Answer

When I was in high school, we raised mosquitos and had to draw each stage of development. If you put a thin coating of cooking oil on the surface of the water, it blocks their breathing tubes and they die.

Non-toxic and you only need a little oil swished over the surface.

What are you going to use the water for? I had this problem with rainwater I was collecting for the flower beds. I just sprayed Raid into the water. It never hurt my flowers.