Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dealing With Annoying Birds

There is a little black bird that's been in my garden for about a month now, and he's driving me insane. I love all animals but this little guy is really testing me. He tweets from 5:30 AM until I leave for work at 8 AM. I'm not sure how much more I can take. Can you tell me how to get rid of him without hurting him?

Lee from Ireland

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Torihime D.07/19/2013

Ugh, tell me about it! My mother, brother, yellow labrador and I live next to a nice park. However, about three years ago, a pair of mockingbirds moved into the pear tree in our back yard. they've dive bombed my dog, my brother, and even killed two infant rabbits that we found at the base of the tree and pecked their eyes out. After some looking around, we've heard CD's work, pie pans, water hoses and super soakers, even air horns! we're going to try all of these ideas and pray one of them works. If they weren't such vicious little things, we wouldn't mind. But my poor dog doesn't even like to go outside anymore...

By BerryD06/23/2013

Thank you for those great answers. You just saved a life. Those birds are really annoying and distracting. Please if anyone comes up with greater ideas don't hesitate to add.

By BnB05/04/2010

I completely agree with the last post. I love birds and all animals but I have had a Mockingbird living in my front tree for the last 2 years and its driving me CRAZY! They don't sing, they scream! And they don't stop for a breath, they just keep screaming all night long. They start at about 11:30/12:30 at night and they don't stop till almost 5 am They wake my kids up in the middle of the night and they don't get enough sleep for school. We thought after last year maybe he wouldn't come back but we were wrong. He started back up a few weeks ago. I can't take another summer like this. Somebody please let me know how to get rid of this thing

By ALAN04/19/2010

Regarding the pesty mockingbirds, all these people saying you should enjoy them for all their different sounds apparently haven't had to deal with them much. My wife loves the birds in our yard and feeds them so when we had a mockingbird show up about three years ago we thought it was pretty cool also. Well last year we had a couple of them decide to raise a family in our yard and all our other birds disappeared by the end of the summer. The mockingbirds are very territorial and pretty mean birds about like blue jays. I would suggest anybody to get rid of them before they spread. Although their entertaining the gold finches we used to have were a lot better to listen to.

By Keith (Guest Post)12/29/2008

Ffor those saying they love the sound of birds chirping, I don't think your thinking of the same kind of birds. If I'm thinking of the same kind as the original poster these birds DON'T HAVE a pretty sounding voice at all. The ones I'm talking about don't tweet or chirp but SQUAWK really loud and very often. We have lots of them where I live and they can be very annoying.

When 3 or 4 of them are nonstop squawking back and forth they can wake me from dead sleep with my windows closed! As for getting rid of them, I have no idea. I love the songs of most birds but I might actually prefer traffic sounds to these little buggers.

By ralph koepsel (Guest Post)12/04/2007

For the past 2 years I have had a mockingbird attacking my truck mirrors and glass. He/she also attacks the house windows. Now all that would be okay but he/she will poop and use it's wings to smear the poop all over the mirrors as well as the truck and home windows. I have tried fake owls and even a dead one, no good. Pie pans and various blowing things...no good. Short of shooting him/her, I think you will just have to live with the pest until it dies of old age in about 15 years.

By CAMom (Guest Post)07/25/2007

I love birds singing, but MOCKING BIRDS have invaded my backyard and my poor kitty gets dive bombed everytime he gets near the door. They are very territorial and bring their friends in to squawk at my cat and at us. They chirp, no, squawk, day and night and my son has a hard time sleeping in the summer with his window open. Anyone have any suggestions regarding mocking birds? They don't seem be be scared by "objects", people or cats.

By CAMom (Guest Post)07/25/2007

By stngray (Guest Post)06/14/2007

Aww! What a nice gift for you! He likes visiting you. Some people, like me, would welcome him. I just love all the birds, and here in FL I get a lot of them. I just have to keep raw peanuts on hand for the squirrels so they won't eat all the bird food. I enjoy the mocking birds because they sing all the sounds of the other birds - just incredible. I have fruit trees in the back, so they won't go hungry (and neither will I).

By Holly [350]06/09/2007

Tie aluminum foil pie pans on a string and dangle from tree branches.
On a day when you would sleep late, get up early and hose the bird with water. Not enough to hurt, but enough to startle. Then go back to bed.

Home Depot used to sell the owls - they might still stock them- a friend tried the owl trick for birds on her patio roof. The birds made such a mess it became dangerous to walk out there. She had to hire someone to come and put spikes on the roof edge to keep the birds away.

By Janice C. [18]06/08/2007

I like perfumed fan's kite idea. I hadn't heard of it before, and I think it's worth a try. Boat owners have a similar problem, and have all sorts of devices to scare birds away, most of which do not work for long. But I think the kite could work because it's big and would keep moving around.

For several years we had a male cardinal in our neighborhood who would sing and sing and sing, and we all got sick of him. But now that he's gone, I miss old Pavarotti.

By Annie Rios Hill [12]06/07/2007

i had one little annoying black bird then there were
5 so I got a fake owl and cds and then
PEACE i think someone told me those annoying birds
were Starlings and they are quite diff than a sweet
robin sitting on your fence singing to you
so good luck!!!

By Denise [5]06/07/2007

Hang old CDs from branches so they move with the wind. The flashing and reflecting movement scares the birds. Or so say the Japanese farmers and gardeners I've seen doing this. I have also seen farmers tie plastic shopping bags to posts by a string (rattling noise and movement) or put empty soda cans upside down on sticks (rattling noise).

Cantate

By Christine Anderson [5]06/07/2007

This little bird has decided your yard is a nice place to be! I like nothing more than hearing birds in my yard.

By Ellie (Guest Post)06/07/2007

Oh, Lee.. I would let him tweet! So much pleasanter a sound than roaring traffic say, or construction work. Maybe this little fellow is singing just for you.

By Sarah (Guest Post)06/07/2007

Put a rubber snake where he goes or a fake owl.

By joan pecsek [88]06/06/2007

Here's a harm-less way to get rid of birds. Get one of those three dimensional kites that looks like an eagle, hawk, or any large bird. Hang it where it will bob around in the wind. Little birds are scared of big birds because they know the big birds will eat them.