Dog With Arthritis - Categories:

HealthDogs

Dog With Arthritis

What is a natural remedy I can give my 85lb. 11 year old dog for her arthritis. My dog Skye, has hip and leg pain. Some days are worse than others. I can put her a prescribed drug, but I don't like the side effects she has. I have her on a arthritic dog bed. She has been a great dog and I would like to make her remaining years as comfortable as possible.

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My vet always said that aspirin only should be given, if not the prescription dog medications, and not Tylenol to dogs. I gave my adult 75 pound dog 2 baby aspirins daily. You can do a search online for glucosamine, chondroitin dog supplements, and see what strengths they are, and see if you can substitute a human product for it. Also add Omega 3, again, searching online for the appropriate amounts.

Two words, glucosamine sulphate, may not have spelled it correctly. Not toxic, like it sounds, ask your herbalist or vitamin specialist, amazing results within a couple of weeks. Hope that helps.

What a beautiful dog. Listen to fat boy slims mom. she's got it going on.

Ditto for fatboyslimsmom.

August 20, 2010 Flag

I have an old dog, about 15, who has arthritis in her hips. She's a German Shepherd cross. I can't afford to take her to the vet. What can I give her to ease the pain?

The vet I called suggested children's Tylenol, which worked for a few months, but has stopped working. Any advice? Thank you.

By catastrofy from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Answers:

Dog With Arthritis

My dad has a German Shepard with the same problem. The poor dog at times could hardly walk, so my dad started to crush up aspirin with some water on a spoon. It really works for him. (02/07/2010)

By lil l

Dog With Arthritis

Please don't give your dog aspirin, ibuprofen, or other human painkillers. I am afraid it can be very fatal, very fast! It can cause internal bleeding and dogs have a very different digestive system than humans.
Try glucosamine sulphate, fish oil, or even put olive oil on its food (you can buy these very cheaply). Keep the dog as warm as you can and if it is overweight try to help it lose weight as this can really help, too.
I have also heard that aloe vera is helpful, but I am not sure of the dosage, so perhaps ask for further advice.
Good luck, but please please promise you won't give the dog aspirin! (02/08/2010)

By mrs christmas

Dog With Arthritis

Try giving her the Tylenol that's made for arthritis. Adjust the dosage according to her weight. You might have to cut it in half or even into 4ths and then give her 3/4s of a pill at a time. You can use whatever method you have always used to give her pills.

Also there is a product that I've been giving my 10 yr old Dachshund that I got in the pet department of Wal Mart. It's called Pro-Pet Glucosamine Joint Care. There's an Advanced one that may be better for your dog. But it seems to help my dog when I give it to her regularly.

When she has a bad day, I give her the arthritis Tylenol on advice from the vet. (02/08/2010)

By Cricketnc

Dog With Arthritis

Another thing, is your dog's bed heated? I went to Wal-Mart and bought a small "lapghan" size electric blanket. I put it on the floor underneath her bed, and gave her a blanket on top of her bed to get under. I plugged the blanket in and set it on low. The warmth permeates up thru her bed and doesn't allow the cold from the floor to reach her, but yet her bed itself protects the blanket from her scratching to "make her bed". Between the two, and her foam rubber bed she sleeps a lot better.

For her bed, I searched around and found a place where I could buy sheets of foam rubber 4 inches thick. For a Shepherd mix, you'd need much thicker, maybe 8 inches. If it was me, I'd use two 4 inch sheets of foam rubber, placing the electric blanket between the two. That way the heat would be able to get to the dog better. You could have the cord running out from one corner of the cover. But I made a cover for it, using sheep skin on one side, and fabric on the other. This way, in winter, I put the sheepskin side up for warmth, and in summer the fabric side up so i's not so hot. It wasn't hard at all to make (you could even use the cover from her current bed to cover the foam rubber) and was much cheaper than buying a heated bed.

Oh, and if you're worried about her catching the cord when she's moving around or making her bed, you could put a small piece of paneling behind her bed to protect the cord. You could attach it to the wall with those removable clips that they sell at Wal Mart. (02/08/2010)

By Cricketnc

Dog With Arthritis

Google natural remedies for dog arthritis; there is a lot of info. (02/08/2010)

By PIKKA

Dog With Arthritis

Dogs can take aspirin once in awhile. You can call your vet and ask how much and how often for the size of your dog. (02/08/2010)

By Glenn'sMom

Dog With Arthritis

Onlynaturalpet.com sells a product called "Get Up and Go". It's rated very highly. I gave it to my dogs when they were sore from a fight they had with each other. It worked wonders. You can give them glucosamine, as well. You can get it at Petsmart or Petco. I heard this works well for dogs. I use it myself and have had tremendous results. Good luck. (02/11/2010)

By Artlady

Dog With Arthritis

I had an older dog with arthritis in her back and my vet told me to give her one baby aspirin every day while it was bothering her. It worked for her. (02/11/2010)

By crystalmitchell

Dog With Arthritis

My grandmother always gave our old dogs brewers yeast. Just sprinkle some on her food. Should work like a charm. (02/11/2010)

By Bethmom1961

Dog With Arthritis

Do not ever give your dog any form of Tylenol. It is toxic to them. If a vet advised you to use it. Fire that vet. Ask any other vet around they will confirm it is a deadly poison to dogs and there is no cure once their liver is damaged. (02/24/2010)

By MRSKAT

February 7, 2010 Flag

My old Sheltie is starting to limp and shows he is in pain from arthritis. I have him on glucosamine and chondroitin .

January 22, 2008 Flag

Does anyone know what I can do for an arthritic Golden Retriever? The vet wants to put her on Rimadyl and that is very expensive.

Pets Dogs HealthAugust 20, 2010
Cooking With Arthritis
Cooking With Arthritis
Old Dog
Treating Arthritis in Dogs
Arthritis Pain
Remedies for Arthritis Pain
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 2, 2016 at 10:22:42 PM on 10.0.0.111 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.