Remedies for Arthritis Pain

Category Home Remedies
Arthritis Pain
Arthritis pain in your joints can be disabling, keeping your from working and doing activities you enjoy. This is a guide about remedies for arthritis pain.

I have arthritis and don't like tight clothes; so, even my cotton blouses are loose. That means that when they are buttoned, I leave them that way all the time. They are easy to get over your head like a T-shirt, easy to leave on the hanger, and easy to throw on when you don't have much time.

Easy, easy!

Hope this helps.

Source: I just took off a blouse and rehung it in about 15 seconds. I realized that others might benefit from having no pain by leaving it like it was.

By Sandi from Salem, OR

I have arthritis in my knee and I have tried everything I can think of to alleviate the pain, i.e., exercise, Advil, Motrin, prescribed pain medication, knee brace and creams. Please let me know what others have tried and been successful at. Thank you.

Marcia from Woodbury, VT

Answers

Have you talked to your doctor about having a knee arthroscopy?

The surgeon can scrape the bone and take off some of the damaged areas.

It's worth asking if your doctor feels it may relieve some of your pain.

I have been amazed at how much my new medicine MOBIC has improved my pain. Ask your doctor for a trial amount. I saw relief in 24 hours.

Here is something natural. It is called Sombra and comes in cream (gel) form. You can find it online at www.amazon.com

This helps me tremendously.

We use concentrated Cherry juice for all our joint pain and arthritis pain. naturesblessed.us is what we use. It really does seem to help tremendously! Good luck!

There are shots that your doctor can give you that can dull it for about six months

I've been taking Glucosamine HCL 1500mg with MSM 1500mg I get it at Costco's, but it's available in most drug stores. My knees have stopped grating and I can walk without the extreme pain I had before.

I also use "Heet"

I use glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate. It has been doing a good job. The shots someone mentioned are Synvisc. I did use them before I had my one knee replacement. They DO stop the pain for about 4-6 months. A series of 3 (one a week) is all it takes.

Try rubbing your knees with Castor Oil. I had a unsuccessful surgery on my toes and I rub my feet daily with castor oil which helps the pain greatly. Never found relief until I started using the castor oil. It is highly recommended for arthritis. Found this in the Ask the Doctor (Dr. Gott) article of our local paper. Try a google on castor oil for home remedies

I had my meniscus fixed in both knees & just had knee replacement in my right knee. I never found anything that helped the pain except for cortisone injections, & they will only do those every 3 months. The knee replacement was one of the worst things I have ever done. Extremely painful. 5 days in the hospital (I got pneumonia & an infection), 10 days in rehab, & I thought the worst was over. Physical therapy is painful also. They press down with force on the repaired knee to get the ligaments to stretch out. By the way, my doctor & physical therapist said not to use heat on a knee, but to ice it. Ice reduces swelling, heat incourages it.

Hi I've suffered from a form of arthritis all my life as well as HMS and a list of other problems and the only thing that has worked for me is native American meditation.

I am also allergic to more things every day especially pain medication so it does work.

It has taken me several years but now my pain levels are so high my specialist has quoted that i could have surgery one of these days without any jabs before hand as i can relax myself so well, providing i don't see a large needle that is.

In the last 6 years i have had no pain medication before, during or after any surgery so i am convinced that it is all been down to my belief in meditation.

A couple of aspirin will take care of arthritic pain for me. Takes about 20 minutes for it to be gone completely.

How do glucosamine and chondroitin work?

Glucosamine and chondroitin are two molecules that make up the type of cartilage found within joints. Inside your joints, cartilage undergoes a constant process of breakdown and repair. However, to be properly repaired, the building blocks of cartilage must be present and available. The theory behind using the glucosamine and chondroitin joint supplements is that more of the cartilage building blocks will be available for cartilage repair.

Glucosamine is a precursor to a molecule called a glycosaminoglycan-this molecule is used in the formation and repair of cartilage.

Chondroitin is the most abundant glycosaminoglycan in cartilage and is responsible for the resiliency of cartilage.

Treatment with these joint supplements is based on the theory that oral consumption of glucosamine and chondroitin may increase the rate of formation of new cartilage by providing more of the necessary building blocks.

Do glucosamine and chondroitin supplements increase cartilage formation?

While it is an interesting theory, oral consumption of glucosamine and chondroitin has not been shown to alter the availability of these cartilage building blocks inside an arthritic joint. It has not been shown that consumption of joint supplements increases the quantity of these cartilage building blocks within any joint.

What research has investigated glucosamine and chondroitin?

There have been numerous studies to examine the treatment effects of glucosamine and chondroitin over short periods of time. Most of these studies last only one to two months; however, they have indicated that patients experienced more pain reduction when taking glucosamine and chondroitin than patients receiving a placebo. The improvement experienced by these patients was similar to improvements experienced by patients taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) that have been a mainstay of non-operative arthritis treatment. The difference is that NSAIDs carry an increased risk of side effects including gastrointestinal complaints and bleeding.

The joint supplements glucosamine and chondroitin have few side effects, and thus their use would be preferred if the effects of pain reduction were indeed the same. Furthermore, there is an indication that NSAIDs may increase the progression of arthritis, whereas glucosamine and chondroitin may offer a more protective effect to the cartilage surface.

My Uncle owns The Wayside Country Store in Arlington. Ever go there ?

Debbie

A lady I worked with had arthritis very bad. She swore by WD-40. Just spray it on the area and rub it in. I gave this tip to a man hubs works with and he tried it and couldn't believe it worked. ~Janette~

Editor's Note: Here's what I found online about it:

http://arthriti  ments/f/wd40.htm

Doesn't sound like a good idea.

It really depends what is causing the pain. Have you seen a rheumatologist or an orthopedist. If it is osteoarthritis the treatment differs from rheumatoid arthritis, if cartilage is gone and the joint is now bone on bone you may need surgery or it could be something other than arthritis altogether. It is time to not self-diagnose and self-treat and get a confirmed diagnosis. Overuse of even over the counter meds can be harmful !

I too was having terrible pain in my right knee and lower back... I saw an infomercial for a pair of orthotics and and researched what others thought about them... Most said they were good to great, but many complained about buying from the infomerical, so I searched and found a few other places to buy... Here is a link to Amazon and you can also buy at any Target store in the health section. The cost is about $20...

Be sure you buy the correct size for your feet.

http://www.amaz  mp;tag=googhydr-

20&index=aps&hvadid=1101850721&ref=pd_sl_11ake5q91d_b

About 3 days after I started using them, my knee pain was much better... Now, two months later, the pain is gone as it is gone in my back...

Take care,

Jim in Jax

I have alot of knee pain in my right knee, especially when I drive. I think it is peppermint causing it Because I have a dry mouth I chew gum when I drive. My dad always had peppermint candies beside his chair and his knees hurt. I couldn't get him to try leaving them out for a while to see if it helped.

Hi Marcia,

I had a torn meniscus in my left knee due to going on a power walk in which I ran for about 4 miles (prior to that I never ran in my life). Two days later I could barely walk without help. My diagnosis was not labeled until the following March. I had a cortisone injection, tried advil, aleve, ice, heat, resting it, exercises, glucosamine chondritin, you name it. Nothing but nothing worked. I finally submitted to having an arthroscopy & I feel it was unsuccessful as the pain never completly went away. I was put on oxycontin & it was like taking a baby aspirin as it did nothing to help relieve the pain. There were many days that on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst, I had a 10+ day. I ended up having injections of SYNVISC. This is sort of a cartiledge replacement & comes from the comb of a rooster. I had an injection once a week for 3 weeks. As of yet I have had no relief. I was told that I have to wait a good month after the last injection to see if it works. So far it has not been 2 weeks. The 1st injection was not bad & sort of like a big bee sting. The 2nd one was painful. And the 3rd felt like someone was using a jack hammer in my knee. Even if this ends up helping I don't know if the painful injections would be worth the relief. I am @ my wits end. I am now starting to wonder if my discomfort is nerve related as in addition to the knee pain I also have pain in my toes & @ the ball of my foot & shooting pains down both legs & groin pain. Also my right hip is very painful especially when awakening for the day. I have been told that without realizing it I may favor the weaker extremity & put more pressure on the stronger extremity & end up with a bursitis on my hip. Can it get any worse? I hope you have better luck than me & I wish you well. Feel free to write to me letting me know what helped you as I care. God Bless.

I have aches and pains here and there with arthritis. Do those Icy Hot sticky rolls work, or is there another product that is better?

By Ann from Ontario

I have never used any but you can find info online, search for-"Icy hot products" - good luck.

My fingertips get a tingling sensation from arthritis in two of my fingers on one hand. Others who have arthritis in their fingers tell me they have this same tingling in their fingertips. The arm on this same side continues to itch. If it continues on I will go see my doctor. But I'm wondering if any of my ThriftyFun friends have itching on their arm along with the tingling. I don't have a rash, but the itching is driving me crazy and it's only on the one arm. I have no other health issues and take no prescription drugs.

By Betty

Tips for dealing with arthritis pain. Post your ideas.

It's not for breakfast anymore! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

By Diana

I am a Grandmother of 74 years. I use a rub on Jel [lotion] on my hands and knees. I buy it on the internet at www.aloetherapy.com and I love it. It does work for the pain and discomfort. It only takes a small amount. The bottle has lasted for months and still not empty and I use it almost every day. I could not live without it. jmouse

I am looking for remedies, for painful arthritis, in my hip.

By Sharon