Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Recipes To Use Pantry Items

I have carrots, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, canned tomatoes, canned cream mushrooms, sweetcorn, tuna, ham, cheese, feta cheese, mozzarella cheese, tofu, chives, parsley, basil, dried herbs, pasta, and rice what can I make with it?

By hollylaura

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By kimsukie [3]04/05/2010

So much to choose from.

Slice the potatoes and either bake them or fry them with salt and pepper to taste. You can also add diced ham to the fried potatoes near end of cooking or when baking from the begining with a little of any or all of the cheeses on top. Slice the mushrooms and saute with butter, salt, pepper , onions and your herbs, pulverize the tomatoes and add after the mushrooms are done, a dash of sugar and cook down, serve over spigehti noodles or rice. Dice one half to one potato, a quarter cup of each, corn , mushrooms and canned cream mushrooms, canned corn, onions, tomato or any vegetable you like, season with onions, chives, basis, Itallian season, add any type of meat diced including fish or shrimp, pork or chicken, cook on low for two to three hours, serve over rice or alone with corn bread.

http://www.homeplansoftware.com/freeware.htm
go here for free recipies and free software to save your recipies to along with a free shopping list creator that adds up you total cost for your shopping list.

By Laura08/18/2009

For future reference, cookingbynumbers.com has all sorts of recipes. All you have to do is click on what you have on hand and they will come up with a recipe. It borders on the miraculous. Hope this helps.

By Frances Adams [11]08/17/2009

Carrots, mushrooms, onions, cooked rice, and feta cheese or mozarella cheese mixed and cooled in frigde, and flavored with salt and Italian type seasonings could be a mediterranean type rice salad. You could also add the tuna &/or tomatoes, drained well and dried between paper towels or a kitchen towel, for more of a main dish type of meal.
You could change it up by subbing pasta for the rice, and serving it hot.
You have given me alot of great ideas to avoid some trips to the grocery!

By Meemaw [49]08/16/2009

You have a pretty good base for quiet a few different combinations . Do what I have done-look at your list and combine to make different combinations.

carrots, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, canned tomatoes, canned cream mushrooms, sweet corn. chives, parsley, basil, dried herbs, pasta or and rice - soup

tuna, onion, mushroom, mozzarella cheese, parsley & pasta=tuna casserole

tuna + flour + spices+ egg=tuna cake if don't have an egg search for some mayonnaise, cook rice & veg (carrot, onion & mushroom) separate and serve with cake.

By Michelle Altman [1]08/16/2009

Do you have any meat available, other than the ham and tuna? If not, you could make spaghetti or something similar. I sometimes spray a casserole dish, and make spaghetti sauce and layer it with pasta and cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Is cheap, good and goes great with a salad. Or, you could make a scalloped ham and potato casserole. Slice or shred your potatoes and mix with cheese, onions, cubed or shredded ham, cream of mushroom, salt/pepper, etc. and bake at 350 for about an hour.

I would just get creative if it was me. When I have a strange mix of stuff in the cabinets, I tell my husband I am going in the kitchen "to pull a rabbit outta my hat" and he knows by that, that there is no telling what kind of dinner we will be having. It's kinda fun to see what you can come up with and it usually turns out pretty good. Don't be afraid to experiment.
Good luck. Hope this helps. :)

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Recipes To Use Pantry Items

After being trapped at my camper for a week while my car was in the shop, I've decided to really stock up the pantry. Does anyone have recipes for meals, snacks or desserts that can be made totally (or mostly) from the pantry with shelf stable ingredients?

Ray from Cleveland, OH

RE: Recipes To Use Pantry Items

I always go to this website: allrecipes.com Under the search area, you can customize it by looking for certain recipes with what you do have in your pantry. Worth a try. (07/21/2008)

By mobo

RE: Recipes To Use Pantry Items

cookingbynumbers.com I use this site a lot when I get stumped and do not want to go to the store. (07/21/2008)

By postaldoris

RE: Recipes To Use Pantry Items

This is one of the best pastry recipes I use and even when you aren't forced to use pantry items, bake these up. They will impress your friends when you need to take something to a bakesale.

Almond Puff Pastry

Pastry:

• 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 Tablespoon cold water

Filling:

• 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup butter 1 Tablespoon almond extract
  • 3 eggs

Frosting:

• 3 Tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon milk

Pastry: Cut butter into flour; sprinkle cold water and mix until it forms a ball. Separate in half and press out two 2 x 12-inch strips on cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.

Filling: Boil together water and butter. Remove from heat. Add almond extract and stir in flour. Beat eggs in one at a time. Place batter over crust. Fold pastries over lengthwise and seal edges with water.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes until lightly browned. Cool.

Frosting: Combine ingredients and spread over pastry. (07/21/2008)

By Lady BE

RE: Recipes To Use Pantry Items

I frequently made Pantry Soup and still do occasionally. (I am 66). Use any canned vegetables you like, except beets. Drain the vegetables, so you don't have the extra salt, etc. Add a splash of oil to give the soup a stocky look, add several beef or chicken bullion cubes for meat flavor. Use tomato soup or sauce or paste for the tomato flavor. I put in a can or two of diced or stewed tomatoes, break up the stewed tomatoes.

You can add fresh vegetables if you want, potatoes, carrots, or onion, or stick to all canned. Use whatever seasonings you want, my granddaughter, age 12, goes through the spice drawer to see how many different ones she can find to put in. I haven't really said what exactly vegetables to add because that depends on what you like and what you have on hand. I like to put sauerkraut in mine. How many cans you use depends, again, on what you have and how much you want to make. Let it all simmer to meld the flavors. (07/21/2008)

By Linda

RE: Recipes To Use Pantry Items

I bought the book "Not Just Beans". You can find it on the Living on a Dime website. It's full of the type of recipes you are looking for and has tons of tips in it. (07/21/2008)

By Sharon Y.

RE: Recipes To Use Pantry Items

I found a wealth of info with not only pantry-stable food items to stock up on, but also recipes using them! Check out: busycooks.about.com (07/22/2008)

By sigma28