Organize Your Pantry With an Inventory List

Category Helpful Hints
Keeping a list of your pantry staples is a great way to know if you are low on anything. This is a guide about organize your pantry with an inventory list.

I have a 2-door pantry cabinet with several shelves on each side. A couple of the shelves are pretty easy to organize, like soups on one shelf and canned fruits and vegetables on another shelf. However, I was having a problem remembering on which shelf I'd put many items that I keep on hand.

I finally did an inventory of each shelf and listed everything on a piece of paper and taped it to the inside of the cabinet door near that shelf. Now I can scan my lists to find which shelf the item I'm looking for is located. This has saved me a lot of searching time!

By Sharon from Poland, IN

This works great for a freezer too, especially a deep freeze that's full. Tape the list on the outside of the freezer door along with a pen or pencil (so it won't run away!) Using coloured bags helps me find items in my freezer too. For example, fish and seafood in a blue transparent recycling bag. Fruit in a clear bag. Veggies in a green transparent bag... etc.

Before zipper bags came along, I used to use color-coded twist ties to identify items at a glance. I hadn't thought of color-coding bags; since everything goes in zipper freezer bags for protection these days, I'll have to give that some thought. Dolna, do you put the food directly into the colored bags, or do you collect freezer bags of like foods into colored bags?