Advice For Round Crochet That Buckles

Need some help from crocheters please! I've just started to crochet so I don't do complicated stuff. Just finished making a round rag rug which wasn't difficult BUT the whole thing has buckled and looks frilly round the edges. I've undone it and tried working looser but that didn't work so I undid it again and tried working tighter but still no joy! please could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? It's so disheartening when you are new to a craft and you try so hard to get it right and nothing works! I love my new craft but if I'm incapable of doing a simple round, then I may as well give up, which would be a shame! Any suggestions, please? I got the pattern from Yarn Lovers Room on the internet. It said it was easy, so if I cant do an easy pattern, then I cant do crochet!

Cettina from Malta, Europe

It doesn't have anything to do with how tight or loose you crochet, it has to do with the number of stitches that were added as you went along. You might be having trouble counting your stitches. That was an issue for me when I first started crocheting. Be sure that you aren't adding a stitch every time you start a new round, by forgetting to count the beginning chain of the round as the first stitch. Example, you start the round by chaining 2, which counts as your first double crochet. Make sure that you go into the NEXT stitch unless the pattern specifically says to stitch in the same stitch as the chain, or the same stitch as joining. I've been crocheting since I was about 10 years old, and I am now 31.

Sounds like you are adding stitches as you do the rounds, try putting some kind of marker on the round that you start with, and move it when to get to the area with the marker on it, you can use a chunk of another different color rag for your rug,or a piece of yarn , use anything for a marker and be sure to count when you mark.

Please don't give up! Crocheting is such a relaxing occupation, and you'll find that you can make many gifts that way, also. Good luck, and God bless you.

thanks for the tips. i know i shdnt get so upset but i sent the text in after battling for HOURS trying to get it right. yes, its a relaxing occupation which i need in my very stressful life but i do like to get a reasonable result for all my hard work! i'll undo it again and check about the stitches. funny that, it only started to buckle and frill when i got towards the last few rows. before that, it was fine. and i was working exactly the same way. i'll count my stitches again.

i usually use a very large safety pin as a marker. pattern says to increase one stitch in every four as u go along. i was working twice into the same stitch for my increase. ive counted my stitches as i was undoing it (again!) and ive worked the increases properly. one increase in every four. i really dont want to do it again to get the same awful result that i had before. have i been doing something else wrong? any suggestions? PLEASE?

You have been having the same trouble that a lot of beginners have. don't give up and you will never be sorry. I am a male who was always a jock and now a spectator jock that has been enjoying this craft for about 28 years now. I have made several things from fine table cloths to dolls and afghans for my children and grandchildren and you will do the same and be just fine and you will learn your own Tricks. Good Luck and don't be arfraid to ask for help.

thanks ronnie. a bit of support and encouragement helps a lot. ok, so i'll stay away from rounds for now until i get alittle more confident. i can do a square even an oval, no prob. ill try AGAIN later with a round. tks again.

If your work is starting to "ruffle", as I call it, you have added too many stitches to those rounds. Try decreasing your stitches here and there until it comes out right.

I find it easier to relax and not make anything tight unless it calls for it. Just keep practicing and soon you will be a master. :)

Since i recently learned to work in the round without joining, i know how you feel. What i figured out was that in some places i was increasing or decreasing by a stitch or more by accident. On doing some research, i figured out that if i simply marked the stitch that began my round from the first row and moved it as i added rows, i kept my place better. By using a stitch marker, it helped me to see immediately that i'd added stitches or hadn't done enough. i made my own stitch markers by picking up lever back earrings and adding bead trim to it. It makes it pretty and functional too and gives a little weight to it so that it doesn't get lost in the fabric of what one is crocheting. i hope this helps. Good luck!

Ball of blue yarn with crochet hook.
Crochet Tips and Tricks
Crafts Crochet IdeasNovember 28, 2007
Round Looms
Making a Hat on a Round Loom
Crocheted hippo baby hat next two three colors of yarn and a crochet hook
Understanding Crochet Patterns and Abbreviations
A person crocheting a pink baby blanket.
Finding Time to Crochet
Crochet hook resting on striped crocheted blanket
Basic Crochet Abbreviations Chart
🎉
🎄