Crochet Tips and Tricks

Category Crochet
Crochet is a very versatile handicraft that can be used to create beautiful clothing, linens, toys, and more. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced craftsperson, there is always a new tip that might prove to be useful. This is a guide about crochet tips and tricks.

I usually have a half dozen or so crochet projects going all at once, and sometimes don't recall the size hook I was using. I've started keeping the plastic bread closing tabs and writing the hook size on it and attaching it to my project during construction. Should I stop that project for a while and pick it up again later, the correct hook size is noted right there; no guess work!

By Maile from Onalaska

Last winter, I decided to start crocheting again. I first learned how to crochet from a neighbor when I was a girl, but she was only able to teach me several stitches. I have never been able to read a pattern or make some of the delicate stitches that I have seen on some of the creations. My basic stitch consisted of single and double crochet. I could only do blankets. Sad, but true.

So my search lead to me to Hancock Fabric. I was able to purchase some skeins more on clearance, but found that the colors that I wanted and the yarn I liked cost more than I was willing to spend. Plus, I wanted to make items for my grandchildren and nieces. It was a little too much for my wallet. Having been out the game for so long, I did not realize how expensive yarn and hooks had become. Thank God for thrift shops. There I found my salvation and at the right price. Skeins for 50 cents, hooks for a quarter. I was in crochet heaven.

Armed with my yarn balls, hooks, I headed over to YouTube and started crocheting. Here is what I also learned about getting your yarn from the thrift shop.

1. You are at the mercy of the color they have. I will mix colors and threads to get the right effect. I have on occasion dyed yarn, but for the most part, I use what they have.

2. I find a lot of the yarn already in balls which I like, but you have to be careful. Sometimes, you might get two different colors in one ball and will not find out until you are almost through with your project.

3. Take the smell test. I can't tell you how many times I have brought home a skein and I was wondering where that smell is coming from.

4. I use a mesh bag to hand wash my yarn. My yarn tangles too much in the washer. No matter how many times I wash, smoke will not dissipate. I wash one skein at time. Dawn works best for me.

5. I also buy knitting needles to hold my yarn balls together. I can usually get those for 2 for a quarter. I do know how to knit, but I like crochet better.

6. My hooks run from 25 to 50 cents. I love the aluminum hooks the best. The larger size hooks I have to buy at the store. I use the 40% off coupons from Michaels, Jo-Ann Fabrics or Hobby Lobby. Michaels has the best prices and take competitors coupons.

7. If you continue to buy yarn through out the year, you will get some interesting threads, yarns, and textures.

8. If you are lucky enough to get a skein intact, keep the wrap it comes in. It has valuable information, weight of the yarn, needle size, wash instructions, etc.
This year, I will be experimenting with home décor. I have already purchased jute, string and larger size hooks. My projects will include puffs, baskets. Wish me well.

Source: I picked up this tip from how to make hook grips. https://youtu.be/9Kucd1ulH0U

Recently, I did a project where I had to count stitches to make sure the chains were all the same length. Well, they sure weren't.

I often have to compete with visiting kids and their video games, radios, videos, dogs...you name. It is hard to find quiet.

I retired and have to keep busy, so I crochet, knit, and embroider. I was always looking for my scissors, or crochet hook. I crocheted a 12 inch granny square out of leftover yard. I folded it in half, and closed the ends, forming a big pocket.

I had heard of using the tags/closures for bread packages to mark your projects while knitting or crocheting, but came upon another use for the little white tags while crocheting.

When crocheting things like a bed spread, you can buy tobacco string and use it like crochet thread. It comes on a cone and a lot cheaper then the crochet thread.

When you want to make an afghan with a different color in each square, but your stash doesn't stretch to that goal, you might want to try this.

My mother is in her eighties, and was crocheting an afghan of cats. The pattern consisted of about 8 rows, each one different, and then a repeat of these 8 rows.

She kept getting lost in the pattern, so I took index cards and printed each row of the pattern on a separate index card.

Just today after about 45 years of crocheting! I was at the end of a row and was starting to pull the yarn up so it wouldn't easily pull out until I got back to working on my pineapple afghan that I was making; I saw my "clover" plastic safety pin that I use to mark stitches when knitting . . .

Whenever I know I'm going someplace (like the doctor's appt I have today!) I always take a small carry-all with me that has a small amount of yarn and a crochet hook. If I need a pattern, I copy it on my scanner and print it out to take with me.

When working on a crochet pattern you will need to know a variety of crochet stitch abbreviations to follow the instructions. This is a guide about basic crochet abbreviations chart.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

I like to work on multiple projects when crocheting and would use the same hook for whatever I was working on. When I went back to the project I would forget what size hook I was using.

I started using bread ties and wrote the crochet hook size on the tie and attached it to the afghan I was working on.

When making something where you have bought more than one skein of a given color, save one of the papers wrapped around the skein, and write on it near the color name...

Another readers tip reminded me of this, when putting my crocheting down, I enlarge the loop that was on the needle and tie a loose knot with the yarn hanging off the needle. Keeps me from losing stitches when moving the item around.

I make a lot of crocheted doilies and when it comes time to block them I use the cardboard from cakes that I have purchased and saved. This cardboard has a shiny surface on one side so the doilies do not stick.

In a knitting blog, I read about acrylic yarn being a low-cost option. Well, it is - and to make it more interesting in small projects you can mix it with other yarns, even wool ones.

Knowing how to read a crochet pattern and the meanings of the abbreviations will help make your project move along faster and easier. This is a guide about understanding crochet patterns and abbreviations.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about crocheting with one hand. Crocheting with only one hand can be a real challenge, but it is potentially possible.

I was making a hat using the cluster stitch, and I was worried that I would not have enough yarn. The regular cluster stitch uses 3 yarn overs then pull through 4 loops.

We'll I left off 1 of the yarn overs and pulled through 3 loops.

Need some help from crocheters please! I've just started to crochet so I don't do complicated stuff. Just finished making a round rag rug which wasn't difficult BUT the whole thing has buckled and looks frilly round the edges. I've undone it and tried working looser but that didn't work so I undid it again and tried working tighter but still no joy! please could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? It's so disheartening when you are new to a craft and you try so hard to get it right and nothing works! I love my new craft but if I'm incapable of doing a simple round, then I may as well give up, which would be a shame! Any suggestions, please? I got the pattern from Yarn Lovers Room on the internet. It said it was easy, so if I cant do an easy pattern, then I cant do crochet!

Cettina from Malta, Europe

Answers

By Laurel (Guest Post)

It doesn't have anything to do with how tight or loose you crochet, it has to do with the number of stitches that were added as you went along. You might be having trouble counting your stitches. That was an issue for me when I first started crocheting. Be sure that you aren't adding a stitch every time you start a new round, by forgetting to count the beginning chain of the round as the first stitch. Example, you start the round by chaining 2, which counts as your first double crochet. Make sure that you go into the NEXT stitch unless the pattern specifically says to stitch in the same stitch as the chain, or the same stitch as joining. I've been crocheting since I was about 10 years old, and I am now 31.

By ERosa (Guest Post)

Sounds like you are adding stitches as you do the rounds, try putting some kind of marker on the round that you start with, and move it when to get to the area with the marker on it, you can use a chunk of another different color rag for your rug,or a piece of yarn , use anything for a marker and be sure to count when you mark.

Please don't give up! Crocheting is such a relaxing occupation, and you'll find that you can make many gifts that way, also. Good luck, and God bless you.

thanks for the tips. i know i shdnt get so upset but i sent the text in after battling for HOURS trying to get it right. yes, its a relaxing occupation which i need in my very stressful life but i do like to get a reasonable result for all my hard work! i'll undo it again and check about the stitches. funny that, it only started to buckle and frill when i got towards the last few rows. before that, it was fine. and i was working exactly the same way. i'll count my stitches again.

i usually use a very large safety pin as a marker. pattern says to increase one stitch in every four as u go along. i was working twice into the same stitch for my increase. ive counted my stitches as i was undoing it (again!) and ive worked the increases properly. one increase in every four. i really dont want to do it again to get the same awful result that i had before. have i been doing something else wrong? any suggestions? PLEASE?

By Ronnie Beadle (Guest Post)

You have been having the same trouble that a lot of beginners have. don't give up and you will never be sorry. I am a male who was always a jock and now a spectator jock that has been enjoying this craft for about 28 years now. I have made several things from fine table cloths to dolls and afghans for my children and grandchildren and you will do the same and be just fine and you will learn your own Tricks. Good Luck and don't be arfraid to ask for help.

thanks ronnie. a bit of support and encouragement helps a lot. ok, so i'll stay away from rounds for now until i get alittle more confident. i can do a square even an oval, no prob. ill try AGAIN later with a round. tks again.

The pattern reads "work shell of 1dc, ch1, 1dc" in next stitch. I am confused as to into what stitch I am crocheting the last dc.

By Rita S.

Does anyone know if there is a tutorial, and where I could find it, when a crochet pattern calls for doing dcfp 2 rows down?

How do you cast off from a U stitch on an afghan?

By wizzo49

Can I cut back on yarn on a crochet pattern by using a smaller hook? I am making a stuffed rabbit for toddler. Even if it turns out small that's OK.

Thanks.

What does "spc' stand for in crochet?

By Tina

Load More