Crochet Tips and Tricks

Crochet is a very versatile handicraft that can be used to create beautiful clothing, linens, toys, and more. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced craftsperson, there is always a new tip that might prove to be useful. This is a page about crochet tips and tricks.

Related Product:

I usually have a half dozen or so crochet projects going all at once, and sometimes don't recall the size hook I was using. I've started keeping the plastic bread closing tabs and writing the hook size on it and attaching it to my project during construction. Should I stop that project for a while and pick it up again later, the correct hook size is noted right there; no guess work!

By Maile from Onalaska

Recently, I did a project where I had to count stitches to make sure the chains were all the same length. Well, they sure weren't. I often have to compete with visiting kids and their video games, radios, videos, dogs...you name. It is hard to find quiet.

When I realized the project would literally have to be started over, I came up with a system that has really helped. I hope it helps you too.

With some dollar store clothes pins and an old jar (cup, soup can, etc.). I marked one side of the pins with 10, some with 20 and 25 on the backs, then 50 and 75 on each side of 1 then 100.

My chain was to be 200 long, so when I reached say 25, I put that pin on the jar. Then when I did that again, I would take off the 25 and put up 50. When I got to 100, I took the 50 down. When I got to 150, I put the 50 back up on the right side of the 100. When I got to 200, I took them all down.

I know you can purchase stitch markers but that requires you stop and put something, even a little length of yarn in a stitch. I find this distracts me less and I can keep my hand on my hook, and my mind on the task at hand.

Hope this helps you as much as it does me.
PBP

Source: Nope just frustration!

I retired and have to keep busy, so I crochet, knit, and embroider. I was always looking for my scissors, or crochet hook. I crocheted a 12 inch granny square out of leftover yard. I folded it in half, and closed the ends, forming a big pocket.

I had heard of using the tags/closures for bread packages to mark your projects while knitting or crocheting, but came upon another use for the little white tags while crocheting.

When crocheting things like a bed spread, you can buy tobacco string and use it like crochet thread. It comes on a cone and a lot cheaper then the crochet thread.

When you want to make an afghan with a different color in each square, but your stash doesn't stretch to that goal, you might want to try this.

Stretching Your Yarn Stash

My mother is in her eighties, and was crocheting an afghan of cats. The pattern consisted of about 8 rows, each one different, and then a repeat of these 8 rows. She kept getting lost in the pattern, so I took index cards and printed each row of the pattern on a separate index card.

Just today after about 45 years of crocheting! I was at the end of a row and was starting to pull the yarn up so it wouldn't easily pull out until I got back to working on my pineapple afghan that I was making; I saw my "clover" plastic safety pin that I use to mark stitches when knitting . . .

Whenever I know I'm going someplace (like the doctor's appt I have today!) I always take a small carry-all with me that has a small amount of yarn and a crochet hook. If I need a pattern, I copy it on my scanner and print it out to take with me.

I have over 200 plastic stitch markers from China (cheaper that way and they seldom snag the yarn). Someone showed me to mark a few of them with hook sizes (G, H, I, J). Some ladies put the metric size (4.00, 4.5, 5.00, 5.5). This helps to remember what size hook you are using with a project when you have multiple projects going at once.

A collection of colored stitch markers with numbers denoted.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I like to work on multiple projects when crocheting and would use the same hook for whatever I was working on. When I went back to the project I would forget what size hook I was using. I started using bread ties and wrote the crochet hook size on the tie and attached it to the afghan I was working on.

When making something where you have bought more than one skein of a given color, save one of the papers wrapped around the skein, and write on it near the color name...

Another reader's tip reminded me of this, when putting my crocheting down, I enlarge the loop that was on the needle and tie a loose knot with the yarn hanging off the needle. Keeps me from losing stitches when moving the item around.

I make a lot of crocheted doilies and when it comes time to block them I use the cardboard from cakes that I have purchased and saved. This cardboard has a shiny surface on one side so the doilies do not stick.

In a knitting blog, I read about acrylic yarn being a low-cost option. Well, it is - and to make it more interesting in small projects you can mix it with other yarns, even wool ones.

I was making a hat using the cluster stitch, and I was worried that I would not have enough yarn. The regular cluster stitch uses 3 yarn overs then pull through 4 loops. We'll I left off 1 of the yarn overs and pulled through 3 loops.

28 Questions

Need some help from crocheters please! I've just started to crochet so I don't do complicated stuff. Just finished making a round rag rug which wasn't difficult BUT the whole thing has buckled and looks frilly round the edges. I've undone it and tried working looser but that didn't work so I undid it again and tried working tighter but still no joy! please could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

It's so disheartening when you are new to a craft and you try so hard to get it right and nothing works! I love my new craft but if I'm incapable of doing a simple round, then I may as well give up, which would be a shame! Any suggestions, please? I got the pattern from Yarn Lovers Room on the internet. It said it was easy, so if I cant do an easy pattern, then I cant do crochet!

Cettina from Malta, Europe

Answers

By Laurel (Guest Post)

It doesn't have anything to do with how tight or loose you crochet, it has to do with the number of stitches that were added as you went along. You might be having trouble counting your stitches. That was an issue for me when I first started crocheting. Be sure that you aren't adding a stitch every time you start a new round, by forgetting to count the beginning chain of the round as the first stitch. Example, you start the round by chaining 2, which counts as your first double crochet. Make sure that you go into the NEXT stitch unless the pattern specifically says to stitch in the same stitch as the chain, or the same stitch as joining. I've been crocheting since I was about 10 years old, and I am now 31.

By ERosa (Guest Post)

Sounds like you are adding stitches as you do the rounds, try putting some kind of marker on the round that you start with, and move it when to get to the area with the marker on it, you can use a chunk of another different color rag for your rug,or a piece of yarn , use anything for a marker and be sure to count when you mark.

Please don't give up! Crocheting is such a relaxing occupation, and you'll find that you can make many gifts that way, also. Good luck, and God bless you.

The pattern reads "work shell of 1dc, ch1, 1dc" in next stitch. I am confused as to into what stitch I am crocheting the last dc.

By Rita S.

Load More
Crafts CrochetAugust 16, 2013
😷
🎉
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Crochet-Tips-and-Tricks.html