Try Tobacco String Instead of Crochet Thread

When crocheting things like a bed spread, you can buy tobacco string and use it like crochet thread. It comes on a cone and a lot cheaper then the crochet thread. You can buy it at the stores that sell seeds and feed for cattle. The thread is cotton.

By Doris from Randleman, NC

You are so right. My grandmother used to use tobacco string a lot. The item holds up better also.

Why is it called tobacco string and what is/was its intended purpose? Just curious since I have never heard of it before now.

Thanks.

I am going to look for this. This is the first time I have heard of this. I love thread. : )

Roughly what does the tobacco string cost (at least, in a standard feed/farm store), and roughly how big is the cone? I enjoy working with different materials, and I think I'd like to try this out, if it's affordable enough.

Crafts CrochetApril 1, 2009
🌻
📓
🎂