Crocheting With One Hand

Category Crochet
Close up image of crochet
Crocheting with only one hand can be a real challenge, but it is potentially possible. This is a guide about crocheting with one hand.

I can embroider, knit, quilt, needlepoint, but cannot crochet. My problem is I have one hand. My left. I have a thumb on my right. I am normally left-handed. I want to learn to crochet. Does anyone have any help for me?

Diane from Milwaukee, WI

Best Answer

This is a very interesting challenge. I'm left-handed, and in the middle of a simple crochet project, so I gave it a try. You need a little tension on the yarn and stability on the already completed row. I ran a knitting needle horizontally through the row of stitches 2 rows down, and then wrapped the yarn around my right thumb. For further stability I put the completed section across my knees. I think this might work with practice. You would of course need help with the first couple of rows, but that's what friends are for. Good luck, and please let us know what works for you.

Best Answer

Diane, I would call the Goodwill Industries; they may know of somewhere or someone that could teach you. They have a lot of programs that help rehabilitate people and help them with job skills so, maybe, they have someone that would know how to teach crocheting. I would also call a local senior center and see if they have any of the ladies that could teach you, most creative people love to share their knowledge!

Best Answer

I only have the use of my left hand also, and I crochet by putting the crochet hook in a vice which is attached to a piece of wood so I can basicly use it anywhere. Hope this helps

Anonymous
Best Answer

Buy a hand brace came to thought. Attach the crochet hook to it with duck tape or some sort of something to secure it. I am right handed and do most the work with my left and hardly move the right at all. The hand brace you can get at any pharmacy store.