No More... Getting Lost in the Pattern

My mother is in her eighties, and was crocheting an afghan of cats. The pattern consisted of about 8 rows, each one different, and then a repeat of these 8 rows. She kept getting lost in the pattern, so I took index cards and printed each row of the pattern on a separate index card. This way she could work from the first card, slip it behind the others, do the second, etc.

There were color changes after each set of 8 rows, so I used colored index cards and repeated the pattern rows on different colors for each color change. She was able to keep her place without confusion with these cards.

By Harlean from AR

Thats a GREAT IDEA. some patterens are so involved, and most of use don't sit down and start and end the project just like that. So if you leave and come back or answer the phone, have a live out side of crafts, its very easy to get mixed up, for lots of us, and then have to undo several rows is such a waste of time. When ever I travel and take my crochet, I photo copy the pattern, also enlarge the type, so its right there when I need it and don't have to get out my reading glasses to try and read it.

By the time I'm done the copy is beat so I just trash it as I have the real copy at home in my files. Oh yeah, the black print on the copy comes off easy, so don't get it on your project, I find folding the type in on itself before sliding it in the bag, is about all thats needed to keep it off the print off your work!

By Carol (Guest Post)

I used to get lost in my crochet patterns too but when they came out with the sticky notes I use them to mark where I am at. You can move them several times before they loose their stick.

By Sassy Pj (Guest Post)

what a wonderful idea! and how wonderful that your mother still does needlework and Bless your heart for helping her to be able to do it!

I love that idea for myself as well and I'm not in my 80's yet!

Great ideas and I also copy and enlarge the pattern but I use a highlighter when I end a row. This works especially well when traveling.

Crafts CrochetMay 18, 2005
📓
🌻
🎂