Finding a Lost Relative

Category Genealogy
Whether you are trying to locate a relative you have never met or attempting to reconnect with some one you have lost track of, finding a lost relative can be a daunting task. There are many resources available to help you with the search. This is a guide to finding a lost relative.

I am trying to find my sister I have not seen for 20 years and am having trouble. How can I locate her current address and phone number?

By Elizabeth P

Answers

Best Answer

The Salvation Army helps to find lost relatives. We have been contacted by them twice, looking for a man with the same name as my husband, but the one they were trying to find was much older.

http://www.salv  EB5?Opendocument

Best Answer

Try to find your relative through their profession. If, for example, she was a nurse, you might not have to ask many nurses before someone remembered where your sister lived. Also they might help you to place an advertisement in a trade ot professional magazine.

Often it is difficult to trace people through formal routes because they change their names on marriage or are known by a nickname.

By Elizabeth P.

Answers

Best Answer

I have used Zabasearch to successfully find many people. It may take a while and if she has gotten married and you don't know her new name that may make the task a bit difficult.

Best Answer

I've found this to be pretty good, at least (if found) it will disclose address and a telephone number without you having to join http://www.yell  .com/findaperson

When I was 3 months old my father left my mother to fend for herself and the new born, me. He told my mother he was going back to the state he was born in to go help my great grandmother with my great grandfather because he had fallen ill. A few weeks passed and my mother finally got the nerve to call my grandmother due to the fact my mother had never met any of my father's family because they all lived in different states. His dad lived in Florida, his mom in Illinois, and his grandparents were there too.

Anyways when she called, his grandmother said no her husband was fine and he had never came to her house. My mother tried to find him using his Social Security number, but failed. 15 years later I'm finally old enough to know what is going on. Now she says she doesn't know what this social security number is or anything. I found a old birthday card he sent when I was two, with an old PO box number on it.

She doesn't remember most things when I ask her, like what did he look like. I have a feeling she isn't telling everything to me and my mother doesn't keep things from me.

He's done this once before. I have an older sister by him whom I have never met either. All I know is his name. If you have any ideas on how to find him please let me know.

Thank you it would mean the world to me if I could meet my father at least once before I turn 18, but it would be nicer if I could before 16. :)

By "hollywoodundead" from Akron, OH

Answers

Best Answer

Try genforum, a genealogy site that helps in finding family members, alive and not. You can google search by typing genforum and your last name. Also can be searched by state and sometimes county. Hope you find who you are looking for.

I live in the USA and have 2 cousins born and living in England (or so I believe). The only information I have is their biological father's name and approximate year of birth, along with his father's name and dob. My cousins' biological parents divorced many years ago, their mother remarried and her new husband adopted the children, so I assume they took their adoptive father's surname. My mother (and their aunt) is deceased, their biological father is also deceased, and no other information is available. I do know the gender and approximate age of my cousins. Any suggestions on how I might find them would be great. I'd love to meet them (assuming they'd like to meet me, as well). Thank you.

Answers

Have you considered contacting the LDS / Mormons? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been researching geneology for many years and you needn't be Mormon to access their records. Simply find a Family History Center in your vicinity and ask if they can help.

Give the services at Ancestry.co.uk a try. They frequently feature 'free to search' weekends and are the most reliable source of finding lost relatives.

If you have any idea the town(s) they live(d) in, you could also try going to the local newsfeed online and either placing an advert (will cost) or making a comment on a community page asking for any information on your family members. I live in Scotland and frequently see these requests and classified adverts from people trying to find family members.

Best luck to you for a happy reunion!

I also live in the UK and I have relatives who live in the US the problem I have is that I cannot view information on the "white pages" and other US sites as I do not live in the US maybe we could help each other do searches on either side as I do have knowledge on how to search here in the UK as I compile my own family tree....let me know if your interested.

Finding long lost relatives can be a challenge and often requires professional help. This is a guide about locating a half sibling.

Locating for a Half Sibling

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

If you were not raised by your biological parent it would be a difficult and emotional process to locate your lost parent. This is a guide about finding a lost parent.

Finding a Lost Parent

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I found my siblings by googling my maiden name. Two of them had gone onto Facecook and came up in a search I did with Google. Since I have a very rare maiden name, that made it easy.

Even better, Mocavo.com (a genealogical search engine) is now online, specifically made for finding ancestors and missing people. Other sites to try:

Source: 25 years of my own genealogical research and study of the web.

By Cornelia from OR

Load More