Recycled Yarn Organizer

I get these wonderful shoe bag hangers for cheap at thrift shops. When I wanted to organize all the bigger skeins of yarn in my craft room, I began to save 2 liter bottles.

I then cut the bottom off, just above the fluting. You stick the skein in, feeding the tail through the soda top, and place the bottle bottom back on. If the skein is a bit too long, a bit of tape helps to keep the bottom on. Then, you simply place the soda bottles in the shoe part. You can keep them there till you need them, or work from the lower ones in the middle, moving the colors up and down that you need.

This is a simple and almost free project that will help you keep your yarn clean, organized, and handy. N-JOY!

Source: My own need to stay organized.

By Poor But Proud from Salem OR

I like this idea for someone who knits or crochets a lot. Mine are in a plastic grocery bag hanging in a hall closet. I don't really buy yarn anymore for big projects. I just have bits and pieces of it for smaller projects I make. I just made a granny square purse for grand daughter using left-over yarn. It turned out cute though. I sent it in to Thrify Fun so you may see it on here some day.

I have way too many skeins for that. Since I have about 20 or more of each color, I keep my yarn sorted by colors on shelves that line my craft room. I separated the colors with wire baking cooling racks (2 for $1 at dollar tree) placed (kind of like book ends) vertically between the selves. I zip-tied them to the top & bottom shelves.

But I'm curious, why do you even need the soda bottles? Can't you just put the yarn in to the shoe organizer by itself?

I do that to keep them from getting dusty or covered in cat hair. I can grab three or four and put them in a canvas shopping bag and take them along, with out them getting tangled. You can buy these plastic tubes that keep yarn safe from stains and spills too, but they are expensive and pretty much just what you see here, so this works for me.

Suppose you could do this with smaller bottles, too. I like to knit with novelty yarn & it often gets tangled!

This is just about the cleverest thing I've ever seen. Wow.

memawphd

I just really love this idea. I have lots of yarn and had it pretty well organized. Then I got sick, moved, stayed sick, this went on for about 3 years. Now I need to get it organized again, right now it's all in totes, plastic bags, several closets. Going to try this cause it looks great.

I love your idea. I organize my yarn with knitting needles. I just stick the needles inside the balls of yarn. I get as many needles from the thrift shop, so I have a endless supply. I just lay them down in a 30 gallon bucket I will usually store by color.

Picture of several skeins of yarn.
Organizing Yarn
Organizing CraftsJuly 27, 2009
knitting needles
Using Eyelash Yarn
Sofa Organizer
Making a Sofa Organizer
Homemade Jewelry Organizer
Homemade Jewelry Organizer
Trellis Yarn Necklace
Making Trellis Yarn Jewelry
🎄