FabricCleaning

Removing a Stain from a Baby Quilt

I have an old baby quilt that was handmade and is in good shape and probably colorfast, but it has been in storage for a long time. I laundered it and dried it like usual; and then noticed a brown stain over part of it. I do not know how to get rid of it and what the cause of it was. I thought I laundered it before I put it into storage. I had it in storage in a plastic blanket bag until I removed it recently to launder it.

Julia from Kansas

I have used this concoction for over 25 years. I have cleaned several old quilts with it.

Clorox 2 - Chlorine free bleach for colors original (blue box)

Sun Light Ultra - Dishwashing liquid - sensitive skin

Use LOTS of each one in the smallest container possible. (bucket, large bowl or even the washing machine on low water level) Stir and add material. Use warm water and soak overnight. It takes a lot to rinse it all out, but it is well worth it and the only thing I have found it will not take out is rust. Good luck.

When I took my baby clothes out of the storage tubs for baby number two(4 yrs later) I found that several of them had stains like you described. I was able to get nearly all of them out using oxyclean.

You might try laying the quilt in the sun only with the place of the stain exposed. Dampen this spot and let the sun do the rest.

Also quilts of any kind should not be stored in plastic bags. Store your quilt in pillow case or a cloth bag.

Also refold it every few months to keep it from having perment creases in it. I store my quilts on a bed we do not use that way I do not have to worry about folds in them.

Rosemary in Oho

My mother in law used oxyclean to get a yellow stain out of a white dress that had been in storage. She had to let it sit several days; however, the stain did come out.