Removing Rust from Well Water

Well water can contain rust. Not only does rust in your water make the water reddish, unappetizing, and possibly bad tasting it can also stain laundry and other items. This is a guide about removing rust from well water.

October 8, 2007 Flag

How do I get rid of rust in my well water?

Carrie from Rushville, Ohio

dig a new deeper well-nothing else worked

by the way, we moved from rusty water home and now I am anemic (low iron in blood) IRONIC??

I desperately need help. There is a water softener full of rust reducing salt, but the water is still rusty. My clothes are staining, it's gross to do dishes and bathe. The landlord has me stirring it in the softener. The softener is full of the same pellets for the 4 months I have lived here. What do I do? Frankly, my rent is due and I am reluctant to pay it. Help

My mom has rust in her well water, the water is tinted rust color and if you can't drink it, it tastes like rust. She has a water filter on the kitchen sink and that helps. The bathtub is stained as well as the toilet. The beautician says my mom's hair has an orange tint to it. What can we do other then drill a new well?

Remove your well head and find a long enough garden hose to run from an outside hydrant or faucet on the side of the house back to the well. Put the hose down the well. Mix one gallon of water with the appropriate amount of "Iron Out" mixed into it (you can pick it up at Wal-Mart) and one gallon of Clorox to pour down the well head.

Turn on the outside faucet/hydrant and let the mixture run through the well and other pipes. If the well water runs to the house, it should get at least to the pressure tank and flow through other pipes. If it is like mine, it goes through the pressure tank, water filter and water softner before returning to the well. Let it run for an hour or two to get all of that initial "rust" out of those lines.

Once you turn the outside hose off, turn on all of the inside faucets until you can smell or see the rust out (you will be able to smell it and see some bubbles). Then turn off you faucet so that the mixture can sit in the pipes for a while. It will eat away at the rust built up in the pipes.

You will want to run the faucets for a while after it has sit so that it will be flushed from the pipes (you wont want to drink it, bathe in it or wash with it - the concentration is too strong). Do this every three to six months depending on how much "iron" you have in your water. It is a cheap and easy way to remove it.

Home and Garden Home Improvement MiscellaneousMay 13, 2013
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal