I have always heard aluminum foil will make them go away because when they step on it, they hear the noise it makes and will not enter.
If I grossed you out, I apologize.
Source: Mother Earth News
By Gem from VA
Read feedback for this post below. Click here to post feedback.
The reason they don't smell is that the poison dehydrates them from the inside out, a very cruel death, also they head for water, so if your neighbors have a pool, they usually end up with your dead mice or rats. The peppermint is so much more humane, plus so much better for the environment and doesn't kill other living things, so thank you so much!
Gem, your solution sounds better than many I've heard, including the ones you listed. Hubby invests in D-Con rat pellets, but then I have to worry about our pit-sheltie mix, who loves to catch small animals! Peppermint would also smell better than dead mice. I know they say the poison embalms them. Don't you believe it. Thanks for the idea.
We have a huge field behind our house and also get a mouse or two every winter. We use "Real Kill" and drop the little packages down the heating vents, behind the refrigerator and under the washer, dryer and stove. It does kill the mice and they dry up and you never smell them.
When we first moved where we live now a mouse died in one of the walls and the entire house stunk for weeks which is why we now use the Real Kill.
Our two cats are older and though very interested in catching them haven't been able to do so. Though our Great Dane / Lab mix Emma has caught and killed several in the back yard.
I don't like the smell of anything Peppermint or I give that try it does sound like a great idea.
Saving money, not putting out poison. Save the world, one step at a time. That is great.
Add your voice to the conversation.