Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Ingrown Toenail Infection

How do I get rid of an ingrown toenail infection?

Bev H. from Mayville, WI

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By john203/12/2014

Hello, I just had ingrown toenail surgery on both of my toes yesterday. They only cut out he parts that were ingrown. It hurt pretty bad after the numbing shot wore off, but I think things are feeling better now. I had it for 5 years, and I am a dancer, so it hurt very bad. To get rid of the infection, soak your toe(s) in Epsom Salt diluted water, and wrap it using Neosporin and a bandage or Band-Aid.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Ingrown Toenail

I have an ingrown toenail, it doesn't look to bad but it's red, and easy to hurt. The last thing I want to do is surgery, what should I do?

Victoria

RE: Ingrown Toenail

I use sharp scissors and cut it out, my recipe. Jack Daniels + Scissors = no more ingrown toenail. (12/09/2006)

By Wes.

RE: Ingrown Toenail

I get these occasionally and was told to cut a V into the middle of the affected toe to reduce the pressure on the outside. Also soak the toe in warm water and then carefully use an orange stick or end of a metal nail file to pull the ingrown part away from the skin. You then carefully use toenail clippers or cuticle clippers to trim the sharp part but don't trim it too deeply. That should take care of the redness and pain as well as keep the nail from growing in again. Although I have had more success just clipping the ingrown part and skipping the V (it tends to get caught on socks). You might also try to remember that when you clip the toenails you need to trim them more squarely than you do your fingernails to avoid getting ingrown nails in the future because I was told that toenails grow differently than fingernails, although I don't know if that is right or wrong. Hope this helps. (12/09/2006)

By Diane

RE: Ingrown Toenail

I have had many of these before, mostly because I used to play with my toes and cut my toenails constantly. I guess sort of the habit of biting nails, except I was messing with my toenails. (Not biting them!) Many of them I fixed, but I have had surgery on both of my big toes before of ingrown toenails. The first one was really bad. It got so infected, it was leaking white and green puss and I couldn't walk on it. They had to cut all the way down to the cuticle, where it would never grow back. Luckily, it was just a small sliver of my toenail and you don't notice unless you're staring at it. As for the other toe, it wasn't bad at all, and was just cut out for me, not down to the cuticle.

The doctor told me to cut my toenails in a square shape so they wouldn't grow into the toe. He said it could happen from cutting them wrong, or even stubbing your toe and jamming the nail into your skin. Just make sure you try to get it out yourself or go see a doctor fast. You don't want to feel the pain I did! What I've done before is soak my foot in warm, salty water to soften the skin and the nail and try to cut it out yourself. Make sure to try and squeeze out any infection it may have (I had a few minor ones) and put peroxide on it if it is a little infected. If it's bad, you need to see a doctor. (12/12/2006)

By MidgetOnTheEdge

RE: Ingrown Toenail

My little girl has gotten ingrown big toenails a couple times. Once it really got inflamed and swollen. It was sort of a mess. I had her soak it in warm epson salt for quite a while and that helped a lot. I also put neosporin on it and a bandaid. After a while the blister part healed.

I think this can easily happen depending on how you cut your toenails and how your toenails are shaped. My daughter's big toenails are more curved.

You might want to see a podiatrist. Also, if you put ingrown toenail into a search engine, it will turn up some info for you and show some pictures, etc. (12/12/2006)

By Debbie52

RE: Ingrown Toenail

I take some pieces of cotton off of a Q-tip ( have washed my hands first) roll it into a small log like shape only it is small. Then gently tuck the cotton under the nail between the nail and sore place toenail is causing.Apply tape to hold in place and it will need to be changed 1-2x per day depending. If your infection is advanced, change more often to keep cotton dry and clean. After showers/baths new cotton. You will want it to stay dry, and placing the cotton bit there alleviates the pain for me. Don`t do this if: you are a diabetic (see podiatrist), if infection worsens or gives you cause for concern. (12/12/2006)

By spinwool

RE: Ingrown Toenail

Our daughter (age 15) has had surgery twice for an ingrown toenail After the removal of the nail she was told to soak in epson salts and apply betadine

However, if it is red and inflamed...it is probably infected and may only get worse. you may need an antibiotic. Call your doctor. Please remember that is is NOT frugal to NOT seek medical attention when it is required (12/12/2006)

By Diana

RE: Ingrown Toenail

As a registered nurse I can't tell you how many times people come in to the emergency room or the doctor's office with a "full blown infection" some of which had to be admitted for IV antibiotics. Sounds to be like you have an infection...call your doctor and talk with his/her nurse, she will advise you with appropriate medical advice

By Judy

Archive: Ingrown Toenail Infection