Label Leftovers in the Fridge

I buy removable labels at an office store. I put them on the lids of containers with the date and type of food. Now we know what leftover is in the fridge. I use the 7 day rule and throw out when necessary.

By retired person from Baton Rouge, LA

I do the same with a piece of masking tape and a sharpie. It won't stick to cold containers, so attach before you refrigerate the food.

I recycle paper by putting it in the paper recycling bin at the local library but first I take some of the sheets of white paper, that are blank on the back, and cut them into strips to use for grocery list etc..

I also use this paper for marking my leftovers. I use a fine point Sharpie permanent marker to note the food item and date on a piece of the paper and attach it to the top of the container with a small piece of scotch tape. It holds very well and is easy to remove when the container is ready to be washed.

For the leftover food that needs to be used in the next day or so, I place it at the front of the bottom or middle shelf so when I open the refrigerator, I can see it and can read what is in the container. This has worked well for me and very seldom do I have anything to get pushed out of my viewing sight and go to waste.

Sometimes a container does not get marked, mostly when my husband puts it in the refrigerator, and when I pick it up, I have no idea how long it has been in the refrigerator. Marking it with the food item and date is a big help.

In addition to marking my leftovers, I mark the take-out containers when we get home. I also put the date when a container has been opened, such as mayonnaise, sour cream, chip dip, etc.

I use this website a lot!

I added a basket almost the length of the fridge shelf in which items are dated for use within 3 or 4 days. Nothing else goes in the basket. It sure has cut down on science projects.

I date everything I put in the fridge. You can use masking tape and a sharpie.

An open refrigerator.
Organizing Your Refrigerator
Organizing KitchenJuly 28, 2011
Poppy Felt Pin
Felt Pin Ideas
Woman with Glass of Sour Milk
Determining if Milk is Good
Refrigerator With Leftovers in Tupperware
Organizing Leftovers
Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich
Using Thanksgiving Leftovers